Postgraduate study at a world ranking university
At The University of Manchester, the next revolution is never far away. This is a place where education is a force for positive change.
Here, women fought for equality. Scientists split the atom. A wartime codebreaker shaped the digital lives we now take for granted. Two researchers brought graphene – the wonder material that is one atom thick, but 200 times stronger than steel – to the world.
Join our community of global innovators and pioneers whose achievements have helped shape the modern world – a place where 25 Nobel Prize winners have worked or studied. Be part of an academic environment that helps brilliant thinkers like you turn inspiration into reality, encouraging innovation, experimentation and creative thinking. Increase your employability as a graduate of the most targeted university by the UK’s top 100 recruiters. Put yourself in the position to become a globally recognised expert in your field of study.
Places available for Autumn 2020
Looking to advance your career, deepen your expertise or get ahead in the job market?
Complete the form opposite and we'll be in touch with more information on what a taught master's at Manchester could look like for you, the funding available and how to apply for an October 2020 start.
Additionally, re-watch talks from our recent virtual open week, chat to our students and explore our virtual tours here, or use the finder below to find out more about the courses on offer, funding options and how to apply.
- ranked sixth in the UK in the last Research Excellence Framework for research power - 90% of our research activity was rated "internationally excellent" or "world-leading" (REF 2014)
- commended in REF 2014 for our provision of PhD training and support
- host an extensive programme of research seminars, providing opportunities for furthering knowledge and discussing current research from all areas of mathematics
Excellence in teaching
As we adapt to the impact of Covid-19, one thing is sure: our teaching remains world-class. Our Mathematics department is a major international research centre and you can expect:
- a high level of engagement in interdisciplinary research and with industry
- access to world-leading research groups covering everything from logic to stochastic analysis, global impact across banking and ﬁnance, manufacturing, energy, security and beyond
- development of the practical and theoretical skills demanded by employers, or to enable you to pursue further study at PhD level
Coronavirus and ensuring the highest-quality student experience
We are absolutely committed to giving you the best possible study experience, in spite of the obstacles put in place by the coronavirus. Be assured that we are in this with you. Together we will navigate the major significant challenges beyond our control and we will continually evolve our support to ensure you receive the world-class education we are known for. Manchester is here for you. We’ll help you find your future.
Access to funding
The Faculty of Science and Engineering have developed a Postgraduate Loyalty Bursary for Alumni of the University. You can benefit from a loyalty bursary of up to £2,200 for any of our Faculty of Science and Engineering Postgraduate Taught or Research courses, paid to you automatically after registration. Terms and conditions apply. You can find out more about our loyalty bursary on our bursary page.
Our staff, students and researchers have access to a fantastic range of facilities across the University.
Speak to our postgraduate admissions team for help or advice with your application.