Handbook of Writing for the Mathematical Sciences, Third Edition
by Nicholas J. Higham , SIAM, 2020. xxi+353 pp., softcover, ISBN 978-1-611976-09-0.
- Order Handbook of Writing from the SIAM Bookstore.
- Handbook of Writing for the Mathematical Sciences at
- Handbook of Writing for the Mathematical Sciences at Amazon.uk .
- Handbook of Writing for the Mathematical Sciences at Eurospan. For those outside the USA. No shipping costs and 30% discount for SIAM members on quoting special code. Email me for a 20% discount code available to anyone.
- What people have said about previous editions of the book.
- Table of contents of the book.
- Preface of the book.
- Index of the book.
- GitHub repository containing bibliography of the book (364 entries), in BibTeX form and a PDF form. The bib entries contain DOI links. Just click links in the PDF file.
- Bib entry for the book (or use njhigham.bib in this repository).
- Nick Higham Talks Mathematical Writing and Publishing with SIAM.
- Top Five Tips on Book Writing.
- More Tips on Book and Thesis Writing.
- A Mathematician Looks at the Collins English Dictionary
- Acronymous Thoughts
- Dot Grid Paper for Writing Mathematics
- Five Examples of Proofreading
- Hyphenation of Compound Words.
- Hyphenation Question: Row-wise or Rowwise?
- Punctuating Lists
- The Serial, or Oxford, Comma
- The Spotlight Factor
- Typesetting Mathematics According to the ISO Standard.
- Writing Mathematics in Pencil, and Why Analogue is Not Dead
- Preparing CMYK Figures for Book Printing.
- Distraction-Free Editing with Emacs.
- Emacs: The Ultimate Editor?
- Emacs and Org Mode: What People are Saying.
- My Dot Emacs.
- Managing BibTeX Files with Emacs.
- Org Mode Syntax Cheat Sheet.
- Publication Peculiarities: Papers.
- Publication Peculiarities: Titles.
- Publication Peculiarities: Sequences of Papers.
- Publication Peculiarities: Acknowledgements
- Publication Peculiarities: Author Lists
- Publication Peculiarities: More Author Lists
- Publication Peculiarities: More Examples
- Top Tips for New LaTeX Users.
- Lists in LaTeX with the enumitem Package.
- Better LaTeX Tables with Booktabs.
- How To Typeset an Ellipsis in a Mathematical Expression.
- Three BibTeX Tips.
- Top 5 Beamer Tips.
- More LaTeX and Beamer Tips.
- Fine-Tuning Spacing in LaTeX Equations.
- Second Edition (2016) of Learning LaTeX by David Griffiths and Des Higham.
- Good Times in MATLAB: How to Typeset the Multiplication Symbol.
- Poster templates on Overleaf site.
- Example posters with critique.
- Video How to create a better research poster in less time (including templates) by Mike Morrison. Also see (for example), the article #betterposter.
- LaTeX at Wikibooks.
- doi2bib (vonnverts doi to BibTeX bib entry).
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary (requires subscription).
- Oxford English Dictionary (requires subscription).
- The Chicago Manual of Style (requires subscription).