1R1 Course Materials
Any handouts will be placed here.
- Example Sheet 1 including solutions.
- Example Sheet 2 including solutions.
- Example Sheet 3 including solutions.
- Example Sheet 4 including solutions.
- Example Sheet 5 including solutions.
- Example Sheet 6 including solutions.
- Example Sheet 7 including solutions.
- Example Sheet 8 including solutions.
- Example Sheet 9 including solutions.
Coursework Tests for 1R1 are 9 am in the Computer Cluster in Sackville/G11 on the following dates. Retests are one week later. These tests involve the student interacting with the computer. There will be a familiarisation session 9 am on Monday 12th October. At this session, students should follow the link to mathvle.eps.manchester.ac.uk/
- Algebra Test
- Monday 19th October (Retest Monday 26th October)
- Trigonometry Test
- Monday 9th November (Retest Monday 16th November)
- Differentiation : Simple Differentiation. Gradients. Product Quotient and Chain Rules , Stationary Points
- Monday 23rd November (Retest Monday 30th November)
- Monday 7th December (Retest Monday 14th December)
Students scoring less than 7/10 in a test are invited to the retest. At the retest, marks can be increased by a maxmim of 4 to a maximum of 7.
Download and print the HELM modules on topics relevant to 1R1.
- Algebra and Functions:
- Basic concepts of functions
- Graph of a function (context material)
- One-to-one and inverse functions
- Some common engineering functions (includes polynomial & rational functions)
- Exponential function
- Logarithms (context material)
- Logarithmic function
- Solving quadratic equations
- Solving polynomial equations
- Partial fractions
- Introducing differentiation
- Using a table of derivatives
- Differentiating products and quotients
- The chain rule (function of a function)
- Maxima and minima (stationary points)
- Higher derivatives
- Basic concepts of integration (includes integration as reverse of differentiation)
- Definite integrals
- The area bounded by a curve
- Integration by parts
- Integration by substitution and partial fractions
- Integration of trigonometric functions
- Basic concepts of vectors
- Cartesian components of vectors
- The scalar product
- The vector product
- Lines and planes
Download, print and get used to looking up information in these Formula Tables. Your lecturer will be able to confirm if these tables will be provided in exams.
Past exam papers
Download and print exam papers from previous years. Be aware that the syllabus may have changed, making some questions no longer relevant to the course you are taking. The number of questions may also have changed.