Reader in Pure Mathematics
School of Mathematics, University of Manchester
I am a mathematician and computer scientist, interested in semigroup theory, tropical algebra and geometry, combinatorial and geometric group theory, formal languages and automata, cryptography, computational complexity, parallel processing, quantum computing, and especially the interactions between these fields.
I am the central coordinator for the North British Semigroups and Applications Network (NBSAN), and an editor of the journal Communications in Algebra. The rest of the time I am a father (of three), husband, rambler, fellwalker, consumer, commuter, cyclist, motorist, genealogist, cross-country skier and crossword enthusiast.
- The sixteenth NBSAN meeting was held in York on Wednesday 20th November 2013.
- A new research preprint, Anisimov's Theorem for inverse semigroups is available here.
- A new research preprint, Exact rings and semirings (joint with David Wilding and Marianne Johnson), is available here.
- A Workshop on Tropical Mathematics and its Applications was held in Manchester on Tuesday 26th February 2013.
- A new research preprint, Quasi-isometry and finite presentations for left cancellative monoids (joint with Robert Gray), is available here.