Level 3 course units 2007/2008
Course units are worth 10 credits unless otherwise stated.
Third year students are reminded that many level 4 course units may be taken in the third year, subject to prerequisites. This requires the approval of the Senior Tutor.
- MATH30000 Two Semester Project (20 credits): Prest and Tso
- MATH30011 Project Prest and Tso
- *MATH31001 Linear Analysis Sidorov (D)
- *MATH31011 Measure and Fractals Sharp (C)
- *MATH31051 Introduction to Topology Eccles (B)
- *MATH31061 Calculus on Manifolds Voronov (A)
- *MATH32001 Group Theory Rowley (G)
- MATH32031 Coding Theory Symonds (E)
- MATH34001 Applied Complex Analysis Simon (I)
- MATH34011 Asymptotic Expansions and Perturbation Methods Thornton (G)
- MATH35001 Viscous Fluid Flow Heil (B)
- MATH35021 Elasticity Hazel (C)
- MATH36001 Matrix Analysis Tisseur (F)
- MATH37001 Martingales with Applications to Finance Zhang (D)
- *MATH38001 Statistical Inference Subba Rao (I)
- MATH38011 Linear Statistical Models Boshnakov (E)
- MATH38021 Non-Parametric Statistics Foster (B)
- MATH38031 Applied Time Series Boshnakov (H)
- MATH38041 Quality Control and Forecasting Subba Rao (J)
- MATH39001 Combinatorics and Graph Theory Megyesi (F)
- MATH39011 Mathematical Programming Tso (A)
- MATH39991 Career Management Skills Shardlow and Bousfield
- MATH30022 Project Prest and Tso
- *MATH31022 Number Theory: the Riemann Zeta Function Plymen (C)
- *MATH31032 Classical Integrable Systems Odesskii (B)
- MATH31072 Algebraic Topology Grbic (J)
- MATH32012 Commutative Algebra Puninskiy (G)
- MATH32022 Reflection Groups Borovik(E)
- *MATH32052 Hyperbolic Geometry Walkden (H)
- MATH32062 Introduction to Algebraic Geometry Megyesi (A)
- MATH34032 Green's Functions, Integral Equations and the Calculus of Variations Lionheart (D)
- MATH34042 Discrete Time Dynamical Systems Wang (I)
- **MATH35012 Waves Hewitt (H)
- MATH35032 Mathematical Biology Muldoon (G)
- MATH35042 Special Relativity and Electromagnetic Waves
This course unit has been cancelled for 2007-2008.
- **MATH36022 Numerical Solution of Ordinary Differential Equations Thomas (J)
- *MATH36032 Problem Solving by Computer Tisseur (A)
- MATH37012 Markov Processes Bagley (B)
- MATH38052 Generalized Linear Models Pan (C)
- *MATH38062 Multivariate Statistical Methods Tso (G)
- MATH38072 Medical Statistics Roberts (D)
- *MATH38082 Analysis of Designed Experiments Donev (I)
- MATH38092 Practical Statistics 2 Yuan (E)
- MATH38102 Reliability and Survival Tso (H)
- MATH39022 Knot Theory Ray (F)
- MATH39032 Mathematical Modelling in Finance Duck (F)
Course units are normally available to students on all programmes (subject to any restrictions in the programme and to prerequisites). Course descriptions for all courses should be on the website by the end of August 2007. Course descriptions give details of prerequisites.
Course units in each semester will be timetabled in ten groups A to J and these are indicated on the list. Student should assume that as far as possible two course units which are shown in different groups will not clash whereas two course units in the same group will almost certainly clash. MATH39991 Career Management Skills usually takes up one afternoon.
* An enhanced version of these course units is available at level 4 and both course units may not be taken.
**MATH35012 Waves may not be taken in the same semester as MATH45122 Non-Linear Waves.
** MATH36022 Numerical Solution of Ordinary Differential Equations may not be taken by students who have previously taken the ex-VUM course unit MT2282 Numerical Analysis 2.