Level 4 course units 2006/07
Course units are worth 15 credits unless otherwise stated
- MATH40009 Project for ex-UMIST students (former UM491/MA4009) (30 credits); Tso
- MATH40000 Double Project for ex-VUM students (former MT4000) (30 credits); Prest
- MATH40011 Project for ex-VUM students (former MT4011); Prest
- #MATH40111 Modern Analysis (former MT4111); Sidorov (I)
- *MATH41431 Calculus on Manifolds (new); Voronov (A)
- MATH40121 Advanced Algebraic Topology; Buchstaber (B)
- **MATH41009 Topology (former MT6991) ; Eccles (B)
- **MATH40131 Introduction to Measure Theory, Integral and Dimension (former MT5141) ; Sharp (C)
- **MATH40141 Hyperbolic Geometry (former MT6771); Walkden (D)
- **MATH40002 Group Theory (former MT6031); Rowley (E)
- MATH40005 Galois Theory (former UM451/MA4005); Khudaverdyan (F)
- MATH40551 Lie Algebras (former MT4552); Premet (G)
- #MATH40191 Predicate Logic (former MT4191); Puninskiy (H)
- MATH40181 Computational Complexity (former MT4181); Paris (B)
- MATH40171 Sets, Intuitionistic Logic and Constructive Mathematics (former MT4171); Aczel (J)
- MATH40201 Perturbation Methods in Fluid Mechanics (former MT4201); Ruban (F)
- MATH40221 Basic Fluid Mechanics (former MT4221); Ruban (G)
- *MATH40401 Applied Numerical Linear Algebra (former MT4401) Tisseur (E)
- MATH40004 Numerical Solution of Differential Equations (former UM423/MA4004); Daou (H)
- MATH40431 Finite Element Modelling (former MT4431); Silvester (J)
Probability and Statistics
- MATH40701 Stochastic Calculus (former MT4702); Peskir (A)
- *MATH40311 Statistical Inference (former MT4311); Subba Rao (I)
- MATH40001 Time Series Analysis (former UM431/MA4001); Yuan (D)
- MATH40361 Computationally Intensive Statistics (former MT4361); Neal (C)
- MATH40022 Project for ex-VUM students (former MT4022); Prest
- MATH40512 Dynamical Systems and Ergodic Theory (former MT4512) ; Walkden (G)
- *MATH41422 Geometry of Fibre Bundles (new); Voronov (D)
- **MATH41412 Classical Integrable Systems (new); Odesski (B)
- **MATH41452 Number Theory: the Riemann Zeta Function (former MT5032); Plymen (C)
- MATH40012 Representations of Groups (former UM411/MA4010) ; Eaton (E)
- MATH40572 Non-Standard Logics (former MT4572); Burdges (H)
- MATH40582 Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems (former MT4582) ; Wilmers (I)
- MATH40592 Model Theory (former MT4592); Prest (J)
- MATH40612 Non-linear Waves (former MT4612); Gajjar (C)
- MATH40632 Hydrodynamic Stability Theory (former MT4632); Fielding (F)
- MATH40682 Introduction to Combustion Theory (former MT4632); Daou (E)
- MATH40008 Advanced Ordinary Differential Equations (former UM463/MA4008); to be arranged (B)
- *MATH40032 Problem Solving by Computer (former MT4032); to be arranged (A)
Probability and Statistics
- MATH40302 Brownian Motion (former MT4301); Peskir (A)
- #MATH40732 Multivariate Statistical Methods (former MT4732); Foster (G)
- #MATH40742 Statistical Analysis of Designed Experiments (former MT4742); Kyprianou (I)
- MATH40752 Longitudinal Data Analysis (former MT4752); Pan (D)
- MATH40762 Survival Analysis (former MT4762); Kyprianou (F)
Course units are normally available to students on all programmes (subject to any restrictions in the programme and to prerequisites) except that symbols * and # indicate that the course unit is not be available to students who have taken or plan to take other certain other course units (see below). Course descriptions for all course units should be on the School website by the end of August. Course descriptions give details of prerequisites.
Course units in each semester will be timetabled in ten groups A to J and these are indicated on the list. Student should assume that as far as possible two course units which are shown in different groups will not clash whereas two course units in the same group will almost certainly clash. A provisional timetable will be posted on the School website during August.
* This is an enhanced version of a level 3 course unit as follows and so both cannot be taken. The level 4 version may be taken in the third year by ex-VUM students subject to School approval.
- MATH40311 is an enhanced version of MATH30016.
- MATH40401 is an enhanced version of MATH30401.
- MATH40032 is an enhanced version of MATH30032.
** This is an enhanced version of a level 3 course unit as follows and so both cannot be taken. The level 4 version may not be taken in the third year.
- MATH41431 is an enhanced version of MATH31431.
- MATH41009 is an enhanced version of MATH30009.
- MATH40131 is an enhanced version of MATH30131.
- MATH40141 is an enhanced version of MATH30141.
- MATH40002 is an enhanced version of MATH30002.
- MATH41422 is an enhanced version of MATH31422.
- MATH41412 is an enhanced version of MATH31412.
- MATH41452 is an enhanced version of MATH30572.
# In addition to the above pairs of course units the following are barred combinations because of the overlap of material:
- MATH40111 is not available to students who have taken UM381/MA3020 in previous years.
- MATH40732 and MATH30732 (previously MT3732) cannot both be taken.
- MATH40742 and MATH30004 (previously UM333/MA3004) cannot both be taken
- MATH40191 and MATH31011 (previously UM314/MA3011) cannot both be taken.