Level 3 course units 2006/07
Course units are worth 10 credits unless otherwise stated
- MATH30027 Project for ex-UMIST students (former UM391/MA3027) (20 credits); Tso
- MATH30000 Double Project for ex-VUM students (former MT3000 (20 credits): Prest
- MATH30028 Computational Project for ex-UMIST students (former UM392/MA3028) (20 credits); Boshnakov
- MATH30011 Project for ex-VUM students (former MT3011); Prest
- MATH30010 Computational Project for ex-UMIST students (former UM392/MA3001); Boshnakov
- MATH30071 Career Management Skills for single honours ex-VUM students (former MT3071); Shardlow
- *MATH31431 Calculus on Manifolds (new); Voronov (A)
- *MATH30009 Introduction to Topology (former UM353/MA3009); Eccles (B)
- *MATH30131 Measure Theory (former MT3131); Sharp (C)
- *MATH30141 Hyperbolic Geometry (former MT3141); Walkden (D)
- *MATH30002 Group Theory (former UM312/MA3002); Rowley (E)
- MATH30001 Combinatorics and Number Theory (former UM311/MA3001); Megyesi (F)
- MATH30013 Coding Theory (former UM355/MA3013); Symonds (G)
- **MATH31011 Mathematical Logic (former UM314/MA3011; Symonds (H)
- MATH30211 Applied Complex Analysis and Integral Transforms (former MT3211); Simon (I)
- MATH30612 Linear PDEs and Special Functions (former MT3612); Hazel (J)
- MATH30241 Asymptotic Expansions and Perturbation Methods (former MT3241); to be arranged (G)
- MATH30015 Inverse problems and imaging (former UM321/MA3015) This course unit has been cancelled for 2006-2007. (D)
- MATH30271 Elasticity (former MT3271); Heil (C)
- *MATH30401 Numerical Linear Algebra (former MT3401); Tisseur (E)
- **MATH30003 Approximation Theory and Numerical Integration (former UM322/MATH3003); Thomas (D)
Probability and Statistics
- MATH30301 Martingales with Applications to Finance (former MT3301); Ekström (B)
- *MATH30016 Statistical Inference (former UM371/MA3016); Subba Rao (I)
- MATH30341 Linear Statistical Models (former MT3341); Boshnakov (E)
- MATH30351 Non-parametric Statistics (former MT3351); Foster (F)
- MATH30361 Applied Time Series (former MT3361); Boshnakov (H)
- MATH30006 Quality Control and Forecasting (former UM336/MA3006); Subba Rao (J)
- MATH30005 Mathematical Programming (former UM335/MA3005); Tso (A)
- MATH30022 Project for ex-VUM students (former MT3022); Prest
- MATH30024 Computational Project for ex-UMIST students (former UM392/MA3024); Boshnakov
- MATH30042 Problems Course for ex-VUM students (former MT3042); Simon, Walkden
- MATH30502 Calculus of Several Variables (former MT3502); Sidorov (A)
- *MATH31412 Classical Integrable Systems (new); Odesskii (B)
- *MATH30572 Number Theory: the Riemann Zeta Function (former MT3572); Plymen (C)
- *MATH31422 Differential Geometry (new); Voronov (D)
- MATH30522 Knot Theory (former MT3522); Ray (E)
- MATH31442 Introduction to Algebraic Geometry (new); Megyesi (F)
- MATH30512 Polynomials (former MT3512); to be arranged (G)
- MATH30021 Green's Functions, Integral Equations and the Calculus of Variations (former UM382/MA3021); Harris (H)
- MATH30031 Bifurcation and Dynamical Systems (former UM254/MA3031); Broomhead (I)
- MATH30252 Waves (former MT3251); Hewitt (J)
- **MATH30672 Mathematical Modelling of Finance (former MT3672); Duck (D)
- **MATH31032 Introduction to Financial Mathematics (former UM368/MA3032); Fetodov (F)
- MATH30692 Thermodynamics (former MT3692); Moss (A)
- **MATH30014 Numerical Solution of ODEs (former UM362/MA3014); Thomas (J)
- *MATH30032 Problem Solving by Computer (former MT3032); to be arranged (A)
Probability and Statistics
- MATH30017 Markov Processes (former UM372/MA3017); Bagley (B)
- MATH30722 Generalised Linear Models (former MT3722); Pan (C)
- **MATH30732 Multivariate Statistical Methods (former MT3732); Tso (G)
- MATH30772 Medical Statistics (former MT3772); Roberts et al. (H)
- **MATH30004 Analysis of Designed Experiments (former UM333/MA3004); Neal (I)
- MATH30034 Practical Statistics 2 (former UM376/MA3034); Yuan (E)
- MATH30018 Reliability and Survival (former UM374/MA3018); Tso (D)
Course units are normally available to students on all programmes (subject to any restrictions in the programme and to prerequisites) except that symbols * and ** indicate that the course unit is not be available to students who have taken or plan to take other certain other course units (see below). Course descriptions for all courses should be on the website by the end of August. Course descriptions give details of prerequisites.
Course units in each semester will be timetabled in ten groups A to J and these are indicated on the list. Student should assume that as far as possible two course units which are shown in different groups will not clash whereas two course units in the same group will almost certainly clash. MATH3002 Problems Course has two lunchtime sessions and MATH30071 Career Management Skills usually takes up one afternoon. A provisional timetable will be posted on the School website during August.
* An enhanced version of these course units is available at level 4:
- MATH41431 is an enhanced version of MATH31431.
- MATH41009 is an enhanced version of MATH30009.
- MATH40131 is an enhanced version of MATH30131.
- MATH40141 is an enhanced version of MATH30141.
- MATH40002 is an enhanced version of MATH30002.
- MATH40311 is an enhanced version of MATH30016.
- MATH40401 is an enhanced version of MATH30401
- MATH41422 is an enhanced version of MATH31422.
- MATH41412 is an enhanced version of MATH31412.
- MATH41452 is an enhanced version of MATH30572.
- MATH40032 is an enhanced version of MATH30032.
** In addition to the above pairs of course units, the following are barred combinations because of the overlap of material:
- MATH31011 is not available to students who have taken MT2151 in previous years.
- MATH30003 is not available to students who have taken MT2181 in previous years.
- MATH30014 is not available to students who have taken MT2282 in previous years.
- MATH30672 and MATH31032 cannot both be taken.
- MATH31011 and MATH40191 cannot both be taken.
- MATH30732 and MATH40732 cannot both be taken.
- MATH30004 and MATH40742 cannot both be taken.