Students continuing to their second, third or fourth year of studies will need to select course unit options on the student system. Course unit selection will be open from 12pm on Wednesday 12th July to the 1st August. To make sure you get a place on your selected course unit options you will need to enrol before the deadline as those popular course units do get filled quickly.
Before you go through the enrolment process you MUST:
- Choose course units from the programme specifications outlined on the 'course units offerred' page of the School's website related to your programme of study. Read up on the course descriptions of those course units you are interested in selecting.
- Identify the schedules of the Mathematics course units from the School's Timetabling website.
You may wish to consider:
- Registering for the MATH20041 Managing My Future course unit: This module is 100% assessment which means there is a limit on the number of places available. Students interested in enrolling onto this course unit will need to complete an on-line registration process whereby students will need to write no more than 100 words as to why they wish to take this course unit. The registration form is available here electronically.
- Outside course units: The Single Honours programmes allow students to choose a subject other than mathematics. A recommended list of outside course units is available here. Students will need to check their programme specifications as to whether they can choose outside course units as part of their programme of study. Some joint honours programmes allow students to substitute a 10 credit Mathematics module for a 10 credit University College course unit.
- Taking Mathematics Level 2 course units in the third year: Third Year students who are able to enrol onto MATH level 2 course units as part of their programme will need to complete a level 2 options form which is available here electronically. Please check the criteria of your programme of study before applying. The decision to enrol a third year student onto a MATH year 2 course unit will not take place until the majority of year 2 students have completed their course unit selections. Therefore we recommend that you enrol onto a level 3/4 course unit option which can be substituted for the level 2 course unit option which must be recorded on the form. Please make sure you check that there are no timetable clashes
In either of the above cases students will need to complete an online form available here electronically. It is recommended that students select an alternative course unit incase they do not get their preferred course unit option.
Mathematics course unit timetables
Schedules have been added to the course units on the student system; however note this may be subject to change due to lack of room availability or change in lecturer. The timetables by cohort are available from the School's Timetabling website. Student personal timetables are available via the My Manchester portal from 21st August.
The majority of level 2 course units comprise 2 hours of lectures and a 1 hour tutorial and/or lab. Some level 2 course units have a selection of tutorials scheduled, therefore in the first instance, students will be placed in a holding tutorial which is not scheduled. However, in August students will be allocated a tutorial that fits into their current timetabled components. Students will be informed by email and the times will appear on your personal timetable.
For level 3 the majority of course units comprise 2 hours of lectures and a 1 hour tutorial and/or lab (for a 10 credit course unit), however these are scheduled as 3 hours of lectures due to the process to allow podcasting. In most cases, the 2 hour lecture slot scheduled, the last hour is allocated as a tutorial, but please double check this with the lecturer during your first lecture.
Level 4 course units tend to comprise an extra lecture and/or tutorial to count for the extra credits.
School of Mathematics representation and feedback
The School has a feedback page which under useful links provides information on examination feedback, unit survey results and examination scaling, and lecturer’s responses to student comments from the unit surveys. You may find the information helpful in making your choices. You may need to login with your username and password to access the page.
How to select your course units from the student system
Once you have decided on your selection you will need to go to ‘My Manchester’ student portal, enter your username and password and login. Once you have logged in, click on the TOOLS tab and click on the STUDENT SYSTEM link. From here you will need to click on STUDENT CENTER and select ENROLL. Further details on how to select your course units is available from A guide to adding your course unit selections.
Note students will have been automatically enrolled onto compulsory (mandatory) course units, which you can view via the student system; therefore you only need to select ‘optional’ course units related to your programme of study.
Once you have selected your course units, make sure to ‘confirm your selection’ as stated on the guide. In some cases the system may return an error stopping you from enrolling against a particular course unit. If this is the case then follow the instructions from the guide.
If you encounter any errors or problems not listed above then please contact the School's Teaching and Learning Office, by emailing email@example.com. If you are not sure whether you meet certain criteria’s related to your programme of study, please carefully read the programme specifications from the website mentioned above.
- Course Units and credits explained.
- Programme Specifications.
- Timetables by cohort.
- Recommended outside course units.
- University College course units available.
- A guide to adding your course unit selections.
Any problems or concerns with the process please contact the Teaching and Learning Office either by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or via reception in Alan Turing Building.