16.  Centrally provided services

Student Services Centre

The Student Services Centre (SSC) is the main point of contact for most of the administrative tasks you need to carry out during your time here as a student, including registration, assessment and payment of tuition fees, issue of swipe cards, examinations information and timetabling, student loan and grant enquiries, financial assistance, issue of official documents (such as academic transcripts, certificates, confirmation of award letters, Council Tax exemption certificates), and enquiries about graduation. The SSC is located on Burlington Street.   The Student Services Centre is open five days a week from 10 am to 4 pm The contact details for the Student Services Centre are:

Tel: 0161 275 5000. E-mail: ssc@manchester.ac.uk


My Manchester

My Manchester contains essential advice, information and guidance for students at the University of Manchester. It covers academic life (including disability support, advice for international students and examination timetables), financial life (including tuition fees, student loans and scholarship information), city life, personal life (including advice on how to manage ill health and cope with personal and academic problems) and university life. My Manchester can be found at the website: http://www.studentnet.manchester.ac.uk/crucial-guide/.


Students’ Union Advice Centre

The Students’ Union Advice Centre is similar to a Citizens Advice Bureau, although there is greater emphasis on those problems that particularly affect students. It can offer advice on finance and housing, for example, as well as advice on areas relating to overseas students (such as visa and immigration problems).


The Students’ Union Advice Centre is located on the first floor of the Steve Biko Building (Students' Union Building on the Oxford Road site). It is open from 9.30 am to 4:30 pm on Monday to Friday. Tel: 0161 275 2947. Further information can be found at the website: http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/.


Disability Advisory and Support Service

Students wishing to be considered for disability support provision in relation to their studies should contact the University’s Disability Support Office (DSO). The DSO can organise a wide range of individual practical support and can assist you to access external resources like the Disabled Students Allowance. The DSO is situated on the second floor of University Place, Block 2. Tel: 0161 275 7512/8518. The e-mail address is dso@manchester.ac.uk. Further information can be found at the following website: http://www.studentnet.manchester.ac.uk/crucial-guide/academic-life/support/disabled-students/.


Accommodation Office

The Accommodation Office, located on the first floor of University Place, is responsible for all Halls of Residence and University Leased Houses. It can also offer advice, including legal rights for tenants.

Tel: 0161 275 2888.

E-mail: accommodation@manchester.ac.uk; Website: http://www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk


Manchester Student Homes is an Accommodation Bureau. It assists students with private sector accommodation. You can view property details by visiting Manchester Student Homes, which is located in Unit 1-3, Ladybarn House, Moseley Road, Fallowfield, Manchester M14 6ND (Tel: 0161 275 7680).


Alternatively, Manchester Student Homes provides students with a free, online, Virtual Housing Bureau. Comprehensive details of thousands of properties are provided on Manchester Student Homes' website at:



Careers Service

The Careers Service is located in Crawford House on Booth Street East (Tel: 0161 275 2828). The Careers Service gives careers guidance and provides details of jobs available for graduates. Comprehensive careers and employer information can be found at the website: http://www.careers.manchester.ac.uk/


The Careers Service can also provide advice on finding work experience, as well as details of relevant work experience schemes and sources of vacancies. As well as providing extra funding, work experience will help you develop the personal work-related skills critical to your career success, test your ability and knowledge in a real work setting, demonstrate your skills to potential future employers and add valuable experience to your CV.  Further information about work experience can be found at the website:



The careers service offer many services including Interview preparation:

  • Students may book a career guidance appointment to discuss interview technique, concerns, feedback from previous interviews and practice some basic questions at any time. Subject to availability but not restricted in number.
  • Duty advice – Most days a limited number of 15-minute appointments are available for booking on the day. These are often used for last-minute interview preparation.
  • Students can get brief interview assistance from the careers information team in the Atrium at any time, by phone or in person.
  • Interview workshops and employer-led lectures delivered via our programme of events throughout the year.
  • Detailed interview section of the website, including downloadable guides and videos, plus interview resources in the Atrium.
  • Employer-led practice or mock interviews – a 1:1 pre-booked session with an employer who will run through some basic interview questions to help students prepare and practice technique.  Subject to employer interest in delivery.


There are two nurseries associated with the University. Their contact details are:


Dryden Street Nursery, Chorlton-on-Medlock, Manchester M13 9AU.

Tel: 0161 272 7121: E-mail:admin.drydenstreetnursery@btconnect.com


Echoes Nursery, Echo Street (off Granby Row), Manchester M60 1QD.

Tel: 0161 306 4979: E-mail:network.nurseries@lineone.net


Further information for student-parents may be found at the website:



Mature Students

The Burlington Society is the University society for mature and postgraduate students. It is based in the Burlington Rooms, next to the John Rylands University Library.


The Students’ Union also has a dedicated Mature Students and Postgraduate Students Adviser, whom you can approach about any concerns or issues. Further information for mature students may be found at the website: http://www.burlington.manchester.ac.uk/



This is a confidential listening and information service (run by the Students’ Union), offering a point of contact through the night in semester time.

Tel: 0161 275 2983/4

(The number is also on the back of your University card.)


Religious Support

Details of services, facilities and all places of worship (Christian and non-Christian) adjacent to the University are available at:

St. Peter’s Chaplaincy

St. Peter's House

Precinct Centre, Oxford Road.

Tel: 0161 275 2894

E-mail: sph.reception@man.ac.uk : Website: http://www.stpeters.org.uk/

▲ Up to the top