10.  Sickness and absence

When you register, you sign an agreement to follow University regulations. These require you to attend all classes organised for you. The only reasons for nonattendance are on health or compassionate grounds. If you miss a class you must let the member of staff who is taking the class know why. In the event of injury or illness likely to lead to your absence for any appreciable time, you must let your Programme Director know at the time. Illness must be confirmed by a medical note from your G.P. or other doctor wherever possible. This is particularly important if you have missed an examination or coursework test or coursework deadline as a result of illness. (Please note that some G.P. practices will charge for medical certificates.) You must always complete a self-certification form (available from reception) and, if necessary, a Mitigating Circumstances form (available online).


For other problems that cause you to miss classes, examinations or coursework, you must also complete a School of Mathematics Mitigating Circumstances Form.  Students may be given permission to submit work late if there are Mitigating Circumstances but this would need to be authorised in due course by the Mitigating Circumstances Panel. You should apply for an extension before the deadline whenever possible. Applications submitted after the deadline must have a good reason for not being submitted before the deadline. Should you be unable to submit coursework by the deadline as a result of illness or any other acceptable cause, you should see the lecturer concerned and your Programme Director. You should also obtain a doctor's note (whenever possible) and complete a School of Mathematics Mitigating Circumstances Form available online from http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/information-for-current-students/informationforcurrenttaughtmscstudents/student-support/


10.1 Ill Health


a.         It is a requirement of your registration with the University of Manchester that you register with a local general practitioner.  A list of GP practices can be obtained from the Student Health Centre, any University hall of residence or a local Pharmacy. According to guidance issued by the General Medical Council it would not be regarded as good practice for a family member to be the registered GP or to offer treatment except in the case of an emergency.


b.         You should always consult your GP (or, for emergencies, the Accident and Emergency Department of a hospital) if your illness is severe, if it persists or if you are in any doubt about your health.  You should also consult your GP if illness keeps you absent from the University for more than 7 days including week-ends. If you do consult a GP and they consider that you are not fit for attendance at the University, then you should obtain a note from the doctor to that effect or ask them to complete Part III of the University form ‘Certification of Student Ill Health’ copies of which are available at local GP surgeries. You should hand this certificate to your academic advisor, programme director,  or the Teaching and Learning Office as appropriate at the earliest opportunity.


c.          If your condition is not sufficiently serious to cause you to seek medical help, then the University will not require you to supply a doctor’s medical certificate unless you are absent from the University due to illness for more than 7 days (in which case see b. above). You must however contact your school as soon as possible and self-certify your illness (that is complete and sign the “Certification of Student Ill Health” form to state that you have been ill) as soon as you are able to attend your school. You should do this if your illness means you are absent from the University for any period up to 7 days (see d.(i)) or if you are able to attend the University but your illness is affecting your studies (see d. ii and iii).


d.         The following sub-paragraphs explain what you should do if your illness affects your attendance at compulsory classes or if you consider that your performance in your studies/examinations has been impaired.


(i).        If you are unwell and feel unable to attend the University to take a compulsory class, assessment or examination then you must seek advice by contacting your school immediately, in person, through a friend or family member, by telephone or by email. This is to ensure that you understand the implications of being absent and the consequences for your academic progress, which might be quite serious. You must do this as soon as possible so that all options can be considered and certainly no later than the day of your compulsory class, assessment or examination.  If you do not do this then you will normally be considered to have been absent from the class without good reason, or to have taken the assessment or examination in which case you will be given a mark of zero. You must also complete and hand in a “Certification of Student Ill Health” form on your return.


(ii).       You may be unwell but are able to proceed with an assessment or examination and yet you feel that your performance will have been impaired.  If you wish this to be taken into account as an extenuating circumstance, you must inform your school about this on the day of the assessment or examination and hand in to your school a completed “Certification of Student Ill Health” form.  If you leave this until later it will not normally be possible to take your illness into account when assessing your performance.


(iii).      If, as a consequence of your illness, you wish to seek an extension to a deadline for submitting assessed coursework, you must complete a “Certification of Student Ill Health” form and discuss it with the appropriate person in your school.  The application for extension must be made BEFORE the deadline and not retrospectively.


(iv).      You may be under occasional and on-going medical attention which affects your studies. If so, you should obtain a letter from your physician which should be given to your school before the end of the January, May/June or August/September examination period, as appropriate, if you wish your condition to be taken into account as an extenuating circumstance.




i.   Certification of Student Ill Health forms are available in all schools and halls of residence.


ii.  Your school will give you guidance on the effect of any absence from your studies or if you consider your illness has affected your studies. If you have repeated episodes of ill health which is affecting your studies, your school may refer you to the Student Health Centre.


iii. If you are found to have been deceitful or dishonest in completing the Certification of Student Ill Health form you could be liable to disciplinary action under the University’s General Regulation XX: Conduct and Discipline of Students.


iv.  The use of the “Certification of Student Ill Health” forms by GPs as described above has been agreed by the Manchester Local Medical Committee. A GP may make a charge for completing the form.

▲ Up to the top