7. Interruptions and extensions

7.1 Interruptions and extensions

Any student experiencing mitigating circumstances may be permitted to interrupt their degree by prior approval of the Faculty Postgraduate Research Degrees panel. Any application for interruption of studies should wherever possible be made before the beginning of the proposed period of interruption, with the support of the supervisory team. Students and supervisors should note that retrospective applications for interruptions will only be considered in the most exceptional circumstances.  The application forms for interruption and extension are available from the School website: http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/information-for-current-students/general-information/forms-policies-regulations/.


Many organisations which sponsor students do not allow interruptions or extensions to the sponsored degree, and students should check with their sponsor before considering this option.


The total period/s of interruption must not normally exceed 12 months during the full period of the degree, and any further interruptions beyond 12 months will only be permitted under the most exceptional circumstances.


Students who request to interrupt for longer than 12 months may be asked to withdraw from the degree and reapply at a future date. During the period of interruption, students’ registration status is put on hold and no tuition fees are payable. The degree is suspended and both the standard period of research and the thesis submission date are extended by a corresponding period.


You should interrupt if you suffer a period of illness of more than 4 weeks.  If you have been absent for longer than two months due to illness then you are required to provide confirmation from your General Practitioner or similar on official headed documentation that you are fit to resume your studies.


For more details please see Policy on Circumstances Leading to Changes to Postgraduate Research Study June 2012. http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=8162.


The types of interruption and extension are listed below:


7.1.1 Interruption

Interruptions are for when you are experiencing personal, health or family problems to the extent that you are unable to work on your research. 


Interruptions are only available in programme (i.e. not writing up) and are granted by Faculty.  You should complete the relevant application form (on the School website) and provide evidence of your case.  This should be completed as soon as the problem arises.  Retrospective interruptions are not normally permitted.  Interruptions can only be granted on events since the last eProg monitoring point. 


If you take maternity, paternity or adoption leave then you should also apply for an interruption (see section 7.2).


7.1.2 Extension to programme

This is used where students require extra lab/research time and is for significant unforeseen delays (which can include severe equipment failure).  Bad time management or poor planning are not acceptable reasons for any extension.  This should be completed at least 2 months before the end of programme. Extensions can only be granted on events since the last eProg monitoring point.


7.1.3 Extension to submission pending

This is where students develop severe problems in their writing up period.  Again it can only include evidence since the last eProg monitoring point as that was proof that the student was on track to complete on time.  This must be completed at least 2 months before the submission date.


7.2 Maternity, Paternity and Adoption Leave

Please see http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=6537 and http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=6540

▲ Up to the top