11.  Health and safety

11.1 Personal health

Primary medical care of students is provided by the National Health Service through individual registration of students with a local general practice of their choice.


The Student Counselling Service provides confidential, individual counselling for all work related difficulties, exam anxiety, stress and other personal problems.  The service is located on the Fifth Floor of Crawford House, and can be contacted by dialling 0161 275 2864.  The e-mail address is counselling.service@manchester.ac.uk  Further information can found at the following website: http://www.staffnet.manchester.ac.uk/personalsupport/counselling.


You should ensure that you are acquainted with the various Safety Regulations and, in particular, the correct procedure in the event of a fire. 


The University’s Health and Safety web address is: http://www.healthandsafety.manchester.ac.uk.


11.2 Fire safety

Fire is a ubiquitous hazard that affects everybody in the University. In general, the risk of a fire starting in an office environment where there is a no smoking policy is very low. However, everyone should make every effort to prevent it from occurring, for example, by reporting electrical defects, accumulations of combustible materials, or evidence of covert smoking.


The School procedure in the event of a fire or other emergency is that everybody is to leave the building promptly using the stairs and the nearest exit, and assemble at the assembly area, which is next to the University Place.  Following an evacuation, do not re-enter the building unless instructed it is safe to do so by Fire Service personnel or university security staff.


The alarm system is tested every Monday afternoon at 8.00.  There is no need to evacuate the building on these occasions, although reports of alarms that are too faint, or where the meaning of the alarm is not clear, should be made immediately to the School Safety Adviser (SSA), Mr Tony McDonald.


Anybody who has difficulties responding in an emergency evacuation situation should discuss this with the SSA.


If the fire alarm sounds continuously, then the building must be evacuated immediately by the nearest exit. Lifts must not be used. The fire alarm system will cause all lifts to travel to the ground floor where the doors will open to allow any occupants to exit. The doors will then close and will remain in that state until overridden by the fire brigade, or until the system is reset.


Pulsed sounders mean there is no need to evacuate, but be prepared to evacuate should the sounders change to continuous. (Pulsed sounders are not a signal to evacuate, but serve as an indication of a fire alarm in the adjacent building.) 


Anybody who would have difficulty leaving the building via the staircases during an evacuation should make their way to one of the landing areas in the stairwells, where there are marked refuge areas.  An intercom station is located there that communicates with a station situated in the reception area.  This will enable the location to be established and assistance provided to exit the building.  Please inform the SSA if you may need this type of assistance.


11.3 Disabled toilet alarms

All alarms are activated by a red pull-cord switch.  This sounds a local alarm as well as illuminating a red light outside the cubicle.  An alarm will also sound on a control panel in the reception area. 


The alarm can be reset locally by pressing the RESET button in the cubicle.


11.4 First aid

If you need to use the First Aid services listed below, please use the nearest one to where you are.




Oxford Road end of campus

From local first aiders (see table below).

In an emergency and outside working hours

Contact Security (telephone 69966)


The local first aiders in the School are:






Internal Number


First Aider

Mr. Sebastian Rees

Sebastian.Rees@ manchester.ac.uk

0161 275 5812


Alan Turing,


First Aider

Mrs. Francesca Moss

Francesca.Moss @


0161 275 5899


Alan Turing,



First Aid boxes and an AED (Automated external defibrillator) are situated at the Alan Turing Building Attendants’ Lodge.


Additional Occupational Health Services for Staff and Students are located at 182-184 Waterloo Place, near the University Precinct Centre, Telephone 0161 275 2858.  (First Aid is not provided here.) http://www.studentnet.manchester.ac.uk/occupational-health/


If an ambulance is required, it can be summoned by dialling 9 999 from any telephone.  Make sure you inform the Building Attendants so that they can direct the medical personnel to the incident.


It should be noted that all university work places are designated as non-smoking and it is illegal to smoke within University buildings and enclosed space.


Some students have disabilities which would hinder their escape from a building in case of emergency, while others may have hearing difficulties which impair their ability to notice emergency alarms. The School makes prior arrangements for the safety in emergency situations of any of its students with a disability and it is important that students know precisely what they should do, and with whose help in an emergency such as a fire evacuation.  Students with disabilities should introduce themselves to the School Disability Coordinator (Stephanie Keegan Room G.204, Alan Turing Building) as soon as possible after arrival, and in any case within the first week, and confirm the arrangements that have been made for their safety.


If you have an accident when you are on University premises then you must inform Mr Tony McDonald or the staff in the Teaching & Learning Office (behind reception on the ground floor of the Alan Turing Building).


11.5 Building defects

Any damage to the building or in the building's locale must reported to the School Safety Advisor (SSA), Tony McDonald.  Tony.Mcdonald@manchester.ac.uk; 0161-275-6118 If the SSA is not available then you should inform one of the Building Attendants.


11.6 Useful websites

The University Health and Safety Web Site can be found at:

http://www.healthandsafety.manchester.ac.uk/  Here you will find useful information about Health and Safety within the University, along with the University's Health and Safety Policy


Counselling for help and advice on personal matters:



Disability Support – Help for disabled students http://www.dso.manchester.ac.uk/

▲ Up to the top