The Princeton Companion to Applied MathematicsEdited by Nicholas J. Higham, with associate editors Mark R. Dennis, Paul Glendinning, Paul A. Martin, Fadil Santosa, and Jared Tanner, Princeton University Press, 2015. xvii + 994 + 16 color plates, hardcover, Published September 2015.
The book's web page at Princeton University Press.
Front Matter, Bibliography, Errata
- Table of Contents.
- Preface, Nicholas J. Higham.
- BibTeX bibliography for all the articles in the book. To cite the book itself, please use the first entry of the bib file.
- I.5 Goals of Applied Mathematical Research, Nicholas J. Higham.
- II.21 Invariants and Conservation Laws, Mark R. Dennis.
- III.17 The Lambert W Function, Robert M. Corless and David J. Jeffrey.
- IV.2 Ordinary Differential Equations, James D. Meiss.
- IV.39 Algebraic Geometry, Frank Sottile.
- V.18 Numerical Weather Prediction, Peter Lynch.
- VI.1 Cloaking, Kurt Bryan and Tanya Leise.
- VI.6 The Flight of a Golf Ball, Douglas N. Arnold.
- VII.5 Evolving Social Networks, Attitudes, and Beliefs---and Counterterrorism, Peter Grindrod.
- VII.19 Airport Baggage Screening with X-Ray Tomography, W. R. B. Lionheart.
- VIII.6 Experimental Applied Mathematics, David H. Bailey and Jonathan M. Borwein.
- Review from London Mathematical Society Newsletter by David I Graham (2019).
- Review from The Mathematical Gazette by Mark Hunacek (2017).
- Review from Mathematical Association of America by Joanna Bieri (2016).
- Review from Math Infinity Blog by Antonio Cangiano (2016).
- Review from Mathematical Reviews by Jason Graham (2016).
- Review from SIAM News by James Case (2016). Note that the solution of the Smale conjecture is indeed mentioned, on page 791.
- Review at MathemAfrica.org, by Jonathan Shock (2016).
- Review from Math Drudge blog (2015).
- Review from SIAM Review by Nick Trefethen (2015). Reprinted in Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (2016)
- Review from Mathematics Today by Alan Stevens (2015).
- Review on European Mathematical Society website by Adhemar Bultheel (2015).
- Review from Studia Mathematica, by Stefan Cobzas (2015).
Other InformationThe article VIII.3 "How to Write a General Interest Mathematics" by Ian Stewart and the four articles grouped under VIII.7 Teaching Applied Mathematics (Gilbert Strang: "What to Teach and How"?, Peter R. Turner: "Computation, Modeling, and Projects", David Acheson: "What's the Big Picture?", and IV. Rachel Levy: "Industrial Mathematics Inspires Mathematical Modeling Tasks") were selected for reprinting in The Best Writing on Mathematics 2016.
Word Cloud(click for larger version).
- Article Making the Princeton Companion to Applied Mathematics by Nicholas J. Higham, Mathematics Today, 51(5):212-214, 2015.
- Twitter account.
- Blog posts about PCAM at Nick Higham's blog.
- Facebook page.
- BibTeX bib entries for the book and a sample article.
- A word cloud for the book.