I am a lecturer in Applied Mathematics and Materials Science jointly based in the schools of Mathematics and Materials at the University of Manchester.
- Solid mechanics
- Ligaments and tendons
- Biological soft tissues
- X-ray computed tomography
I am currently offering PhD projects in the following areas. If you are interested in working on one of these problems, please get in touch!
- Computational modelling of biological soft tissues with Professor Andrew Hazel ( School of Mathematics)
- Microstructural constitutive modelling of biological soft tissues with Professor William Parnell ( School of Mathematics)
- Shearer, T., Bradley, R.S., Hidalgo-Bastida, A., Sherratt, M.J. and Cartmell, S.H. 2016. Three-dimensional visualisation of soft biological structures by X-ray computed micro-tomography . Journal of Cell Science 129, 2483-2492 (DOI).
- Pearce, P. and Shearer, T. 2016. Maths in medicine: How to survive a science fair. Mathematics Today 52, 135-139.
- Balint, R., Lowe, T. and Shearer, T. 2016. Optimal contrast agent staining of ligaments and tendons for X-Ray computed tomography . PLoS ONE 11, e0153552 (DOI).
- Shearer, T., Parnell, W.J. and Abrahams, I.D. 2015. Antiplane wave scattering from a cylindrical cavity in pre-stressed nonlinear elastic media. Proceedings of the Royal Society A 471, 20150450 (DOI).
- Shearer, T. 2015. A new strain energy function for modelling ligaments and tendons whose fascicles have a helical arrangement of fibrils. Journal of Biomechanics 48, 3017–3025 (DOI).
- Shearer, T. 2015. A new strain energy function for the hyperelastic modelling of ligaments and tendons based on fascicle microstructure. Journal of Biomechanics 48, 290–297 (DOI).
- Shearer, T., Rawson, S., Castro, S.J., Balint, R., Bradley, R.S., Lowe, T., Vila-Comamala, J., Lee, P.D., and Cartmell, S.H. 2014. X-ray computed tomography of the anterior cruciate ligament and patellar tendon. Muscle, Ligaments and Tendons Journal 4, 238–244 (DOI).
- Shearer, T., Abrahams, I.D., Parnell, W.J. and Daros, C.H. 2013. Torsional wave propagation in a pre-stressed hyperelastic annular circular cylinder. Q. J. Mech. Appl. Math. 66, 466–487 (DOI).
- Parnell, W.J. and Shearer, T. 2013. Antiplane elastic wave cloaking using metamaterials, homogenization and hyperelasticity. Wave Motion 50, 1140–1152 (DOI).
- Parnell, W.J., Norris, A.N., and Shearer, T. 2012. Employing pre-stress to generate finite cloaks for antiplane elastic waves. Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 171907 (DOI).
- Shearer, T. 2012. Waves in nonlinear elastic media with inhomogeneous pre-stress, PhD Thesis, University of Manchester.
- Lectureship in Applied Mathematics and Materials Science, University of Manchester, 2017–Present.
- EPSRC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, University of Manchester, 2014–2017.
- EPSRC Doctoral Prize Fellowship, University of Manchester, 2013–2014.
- PhD Applied Mathematics, University of Manchester, 2009–2012. Supervised by Professor David Abrahams and Professor William Parnell.
- BSc. (Hons) Mathematics, University of Manchester, 2006–2009.