||Assistant Head of Department, Director of Undergraduate Studies, Undergraduate
Tutor, Course Tutor for the Mathematics and Language Studies Degree Course.
||Currently, I am teaching the following lecture courses:
Approximation Theory and Numerical Integration (code: 322)
Numerical Solution of Ordinary Differential Equations (code: 362)
Advanced Ordinary Differential Equations (code: 463)
||My research interests are all in the area of numerical analysis. Currently,
I am working on the following research projects:
- Numerical strategies for delay and Volterra differential algebraic
equations. This is joint work with Professor Christopher Baker of the University
of Manchester, and my research student, Carl Gibson. This work has been
supported by an EPSRC Research Grant.
- Numerical solution of periodic initial value problems with oscillatory
solution. My research student, Muhammad Gul, is working with me on this project. I
am also working with Dr John Coleman of the University of Durham on deriving
and developing collocation methods for problems of this type.
- Moving mesh methods for parabolic partial differential equations, in
particular for problems arising when modelling the propagation of a narrow
flame in a detonator delay element. Thebe Basebi, a research student, is
working with me on this project.
- Numerical solution of Schrödinger's equation, in collaboration
with Dr. Theodore Simos of the University of Thrace.
- Numerical solution of differential algebraic boundary value problems.
This work has been supported by two EPSRC CASE studentships, in cooperation
with ICI plc who had a particular interest in problems of this type arising
in the modelling of detonation.
- R M Thomas and M S H Khiyal. Variable order, variable step methods
for second order initial value problems. Journal of Computational
and Applied Mathematics, 79, 263-276 (1997).
- R M Thomas and T E Simos. A family of hybrid exponentially
fitted predictor-corrector methods for the numerical integration of the
radial Schrödinger equation. Journal of Computational and
Applied Mathematics, 87, 215-226 (1997).
- C T H Baker, G A Bochorov, A Filiz, N J Ford, C A H Paul, F A Rihan, A
Tang, R M Thomas, H Tian and D R Wille. Numerical modelling by delay
and Volterra functional differential equations. In Topics in
Computer Mathematics and its Applications (edited by E A Lipitakis),
113-137, LEA-Athens, Hellas (1999).
- J A Sturgeon, R M Thomas and I Gladwell. Solving a singular DAE
model of unconfined detonation. Computers and Chemistry
(To appear in 2000).