Lecturer in Applied Mathematics
Alan Turing Building Room 1.110
Oliver. Dorn at manchester. ac. uk
Phone +44 161 306 3217.
Fax +44 161 306 3669
Postal address: School of Mathematics, University of Manchester,
Alan Turing Building, Oxford Rd Manchester M13 9PL
Areas of research interest: Applied
Mathematics, Scientific Computing, with a special interest
in inverse problems, physics based imaging and numerical optimization.
- Inverse problems for the radiative transfer equation; Sparsity
promoting regularization vs shape based methods; Total variation imaging
- Microwave medical imaging and ground penetrating radar (info);
- Through-wall radar imaging (info);
- Level set methods in 3D controlled source magnetic induction
- Geophysical tomography using the elastic wave equation; Seismic
full-waveform inversion with level sets (link);
- 3D magnetic induction tomography for the noninvasive screening of
boxes or containers; (info)
- Cargo container screening using gravity/gradiometry; Uncertainty
- History matching of reservoirs incorporating controlled source
electromagnetics; Modified ensemble Kalman filters; (info)
- Time-dependent inverse problems and statistical forecast; Ultra-short
term weather prediction from radar rainfall maps (`nowcasting'); Object
tracking from indirect data; (info)
- Level set and color level set techniques for simultaneous shape and
parameter reconstruction; (info)
- Crack detection with level sets. (info)
- Level sets and adjoint fields for History Matching of petroleum
- Level set methods for environmental imaging with electromagnetic waves
- 3D electromagnetic induction tomography in geophysics; Anisotropic
media; Sensitivity analysis (info);
I am always looking for
enthusiastic PhD students (and postdocs). Take the above list of
research topics as a guideline to define new PhD projects (or beyond). I am
happy to discuss also alternative projects.
Undergraduate and postgraduate research projects:
is a list of past undergraduate projects that I have supervised. If
you are an undergraduate or MSc postgraduate student looking for a
research topic in your final year, feel free to contact me to
discuss potential projects.
Some recent activities.
- Recent video streaming presentation `Shape
reconstruction techniques for solving inverse problems with interfaces'
at IMA workshop on `Frontiers
in PDE-constrained optimization', June 8th, 2016, Minneapolis, US.
- Recent video streaming presentation `A
level set technique for 3D Magnetic Induction Tomography at Different
Scales' at ICERM workshop on `Mathematical
and Computational Challenges in Radar and Seismic Reconstruction',
October 18th, 2017, Providence, US.
- Recent topical
workshop organized: Workshop
on Compressive Sensing and Sparsity: Theory and Applications in
Tomography. This workshop took place at The University of
Manchester, 12th and 13th November 2015.
- Recent outreach
presentation at STEM
Maths and Sciences Teachers Conference, Manchester, June 2014: `Looking
into Hidden Worlds'
Main administrative duties at
The University of Manchester
A list of courses taught in the past can be found here.
Most recently I have been teaching those courses:
Mathematics 2M1 for Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering students
Numerical Optimization and Inverse Problems
(until 2015) Engineering Mathematics 1 for Chemical Engineering and
Petroleum Engineering students
A list of older presentations can be found here.
Some recent and upcoming events:
- ENDE 2017 XXII international
workshop on electromagnetic nondestructive evaluation, Saclay, France
- SIAM GS 2017 Conference on
Mathematical and Computational Issues in the Geosciences, Erlangen,
conference on Inverse Problems, from Theory to Applications,
- ICERM workshop
on Mathematical and Computational Aspects of Radar Imaging,
2018 8th International Conference on New Computational Methods for
Inverse Problems, May 25th, 2018, Paris-Saclay, France
- ECMI 2018 The 20th European
Conference on Mathematics for Industry, 18-22 June, 2018, Budapest,
- IFIP TC 7 Conference on System
Modeling and Optimization, July 23-27, 2018, Essen, Germany
- PIERS2019 Progress in
Electromagnetics Research Symposium, 17-20 June, 2019, Rome, Italy.
- AIP 2019 Applied
Inverse Problems Conference 2019, July 8-12, 2019, Grenoble, France.
A list of older publications
can be found here
(by type) or here
(by application area).
preprints and publications
- (2017) K. Prieto and O.D., Sparsity
and level set regularization for diffuse optical tomography using a
transport model in 2D, Inverse Problems, Vol. 33 (1). (open
- (2018) O. D. and A. Hiles, A
level set method for magnetic induction tomography of 3D boxes and
containers, in book:
Electromagnetic Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol XXI, series
Studies in Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, IOS Press (open
- (2018) C. Etienam, R. Villegas and O.D., An Improved Reservoir Model Calibration
using Sparsity and Stochastic Optimization, Abstract
for ECMI 2018 (accepted, 1 page)
- (2018) Y. Wu and O.D., A
level set method for shape reconstruction in seismic full waveform
inversion using a linear elastic model in 2D ,
Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Volume 1131, conference 1 (open
- (2019) R. Villegas, C. Etienam, M. Babaei, O.D., Shape and Distributed Parameter
Estimation for History Matching using a Modified Ensemble Kalman
Filter and Level Sets, (To
appear in `Inverse Problems in Science and Engineering', Feb
- (2019) G. Incorvaia and O. D., Through-the-Wall
Radar Imaging using a Level Set Approach, Abstract for PIERS
2019 conference (1 page, accepted).
- (2019) G. Incorvaia and O.D., 2D
Radar Imaging using a Level Set Approach, Extended paper for PIERS
2019 conference (10 pages, submitted).
- (2019) A. Hiles and O. Dorn, Sparsity
and Level Set Regularization For Near-Field Electromagnetic Imaging in
- (2019) C. Etienam, R. Villegas and
O.D., An Improved Reservoir Model Calibration
using Sparsity and Stochastic Optimization, Extended
paper for ECMI 2018 book, Springer
- (2018) O. D., Distributed
parameter estimation for the time-dependent radiative transfer
equation, to appear in book: Frontiers in PDE
Constrained Optimization, IMA Volumes in Mathematics and its
Applications, Vol 163, (Edts. H. Antil, D Kouri, M.Lacasse and D Ridzal)
Springer, New York (link)
- (2015) O.D. and D. Lesselier, Level
set methods for structural inversion and image reconstruction,
in: Springer Handbook of Mathematical Methods in Imaging (Ed. O.
Scherzer, 2nd edt), pp 471-532. (link)
- (2009) O.D. and D. Lesselier, Level
set methods for inverse scattering - some recent developments,
Inverse Problems, 25 (12),
125001 (11pp) (link)
set methods for inverse scattering, O. Dorn and D. Lesselier, Topical
review, Inverse Problems 22
(2006) R67-R131. (link)
set techniques for structural inversion in medical imaging,
O. Dorn and D. Lesselier, Chapter in
book: "Deformable Models:
Theory and Biomaterial Applications", Editors (Jasjit
S. Suri and Aly
Farag), Springer Publishers, ISBN:
978-0-387-31204 8, pp. 61-90, to
appear July 2007. (pdf)