Reader in Pure Mathematics
School of Mathematics, University of Manchester
I am a mathematician and computer scientist, interested in semigroup theory, tropical algebra and geometry, combinatorial and geometric group theory, formal languages and automata, cryptography, computational complexity, parallel processing, quantum computing, and especially the interactions between these fields.
I am the central coordinator for the North British Semigroups and Applications Network (NBSAN), and an editor of the journal Communications in Algebra. The rest of the time I am a father (of three), husband, rambler, fellwalker, consumer, commuter, cyclist, motorist, genealogist, cross-country skier and crossword enthusiast.
- A new research preprint, A large class of sofic monoids, is available here.
- The seventeenth NBSAN meeting will be held in Norwich 14th and 15th April 2014.
- A new research preprint, A strong geometric hyperbolicity property for directed graphs and monoids (joint with Robert Gray), is available here.
- A new research preprint, The word problem for free adequate semigroups (joint with Alexandr Kazda), is available here.
- A new research preprint, Anisimov's Theorem for inverse semigroups is available here.
- A Workshop on Tropical Mathematics and its Applications was held in Manchester on Tuesday 26th February 2013.