Professor and Head of Pure Mathematics
School of Mathematics, University of Manchester
I am a mathematician and computer scientist, interested in semigroup theory, tropical algebra and geometry, combinatorial and geometric group theory, formal languages and automata, cryptography, computational complexity, parallel processing, quantum computing, and especially the interactions between these fields.
When I'm not actually doing maths, I am running the Pure Mathematics Group in Manchester, coordinating the North British Semigroups and Applications Network (NBSAN), or editing the journal Communications in Algebra. And when I'm not doing that, I'm a father (of three), husband, cyclist, rambler, fellwalker, school governor, consumer, commuter, motorist, genealogist, cross-country skier and crossword enthusiast.
- The 26th NBSAN meeting will be held in St Andrews on Thursday 13th July 2017.
- A revised version of the preprint Identities in upper triangular matrix semigroups and the bicyclic monoid (joint with Laure Daviaud and Marianne Johnson), containing additional results, is available here.
- A new preprint entitled On cogrowth, amenability and the spectral radius of a random walk on a semigroup (joint with Robert Gray) is available here.
- A new preprint entitled NP-completeness in the gossip monoid (joint with Peter Fenner and Marianne Johnson) is available here.
- A slightly less new preprint entitled Face monoid actions and tropical hyperplane arrangements (joint with Marianne Johnson) is available here.