Head of Pure Mathematics
School of Mathematics, University of Manchester
I am a mathematician and computer scientist, interested in semigroup theory, tropical algebra and geometry, combinatorial and geometric group theory, formal languages and automata, cryptography, computational complexity, parallel processing, quantum computing, and especially the interactions between these fields.
When I'm not actually doing maths, I am being the Head of Pure Mathematics in Manchester, and the central coordinator for the North British Semigroups and Applications Network (NBSAN), or an editor of the journal Communications in Algebra. And when I'm not doing that, I'm father (of three), husband, rambler, fellwalker, consumer, commuter, cyclist, motorist, genealogist, cross-country skier and crossword enthusiast.
- The 22nd NBSAN meeting will be held in Manchester on 20th November 2015.
- A new research preprint, Amenability and geometry of semigroups (joint with Bob Gray), is available here.
- The 21st NBSAN meeting was held in Colchester on 10th July 2015.
- The 20th NBSAN meeting was held in St Andrews on 22nd and 23rd April 2015. You can read all about it in Peter Cameron's blog.
- A slightly less new research preprint, A large class of sofic monoids, is available here.