MATH65740 Transferable skills: How to
(MSc in Applied Mathematics)
Link to main page for this module.
- I recommend you take advantage of free SIAM student membership and also join the Manchester SIAM Student Chapter.
- All members of the class are very welcome to attend any of the weekly meetings of the Numerical Linear Algebra group, which take place on Tuesdays at 10am in Frank Adams 1. Feel free to ask me for more details. The group's "need to know" page has some information that you might find useful.
- You should already have attended Paul Johnson's short introduction to LaTeX course. See A Short Introduction to Latex.
- How to Write Mathematics: slides.
- Writing assignment (PDF) (and LaTeX source).
- Homework: example for proof reading.
- Proofreader's marks.
- Top Tips for New LaTeX Users. Blog post version.
- Nicholas J. Higham. Handbook of Writing for the Mathematical Sciences, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, PA, USA, second edition, 1998. ISBN 978-0-89871-955-0 xvix+302 pp.
- Writing in English: A Practical Handbook for Scientific and Technical Writers (2000).
- Common Errors in English Usage website.
- A. Okulicz-Kozaryn, Cluttered Writing: Adjectives and Adverbs in Academia, Scientometrics, 96 (3): 679-681, 2013.
- Oxford English Dictionary (requires subscription).
- English for French Scientists. For those whose first language is French, useful advice from Laurette Tuckerman on writing technical English.
From My Blog
- More Tips on Book and Thesis Writing
- How To Typeset an Ellipsis in a Mathematical Expression
- LaTeX and Beamer Tips
- Beamer tips
- Tips on fine-tuning spacing in LaTeX equations