Handbook of Writing for the Mathematical Sciences, Second Edition
by Nicholas J. Higham , SIAM, 1998. xvi+302 pp., softcover, ISBN 0-89871-420-6.
- Order Handbook of Writing from the SIAM Bookstore (and at special price for students).
- What people have said about the book.
- Handbook of Writing for the Mathematical Sciences at Amazon.
- Handbook of Writing for the Mathematical Sciences at Eurospan. For those outside the USA. No shipping costs and 30% discount for SIAM members on quoting special code.
- Handbook of Writing for the Mathematical Sciences at Google Play
- Handbook of Writing for the Mathematical Sciences at Google Books
- Preface of the book.
- Bibliography of the book (306 entries), in BibTeX form.
- Japanese translation (1994) of first edition: cover and copyright pages, preface.
- The Collection of Computer Science Bibliographies (includes Computational Mathematics)
- LaTeX pages
- Some more LaTeX and TeX pages .
- Learning LaTeX by David Griffiths and Des Higham .
- Earliest uses of some words of mathematics .
- Mathematical quotations server .
- Oxford English Dictionary (requires subscription).
- Online dictionary.
- Another online dictionary.
- Graduate Study in the Computer and Mathematical Sciences: A Survival Manual, Dianne O'Leary. Contains many links in Section 13 related to technical writing and presentation.
- The Short Talk, Charles Van Loan.
- Three Sins of Authors in Computer Science and Math, by Jonathan Shewchuk.
- World Wide Words, an excellent site devoted to the English language, with many useful links.
- English for French Scientists. For those whose first language is French, useful advice from Laurette Tuckerman on writing technical English.
- How to Give a Talk, PDF slides from a talk by Tammy Kolda.
- Creating Effective Poster Presentations.
- LaTeX poster template.
- Examples of posters
- IMA Conference on Linear Algebra and Its Applications , Manchester, July 10-12 1995.
- Winners of the Poster Competitions of SIAM Activity Group on Linear Algebra .
- Example posters on SciFor Inc. site.
On-line references from the bibliography
- The King's English , H. W. Fowler and F. G. Fowler, Second edition, 1908.
- The Elements of Style , William Strunk, Jr., 1918.
- 101 Writing Tips , Des Higham , 1994.
- Which dictionary for the mathematical scientist? , Nicholas J. Higham , IMA Bulletin 30(5/6):81-88, 1994.
- A Guide for New Referees in Theoretical Computer Science , Ian Parberry.
- How to Present a Paper in Theoretical Computer Science: A Speaker's Guide for Students , Ian Parberry.