- Room 2.136
- School of Mathematics,
- University of Manchester
- Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
- Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 5891
- Fax: +44 (0) 161 275 5819
I am a postdoctoral research associate in the Numerical Analysis Group. My research interests lie mainly in numerical linear algebra and high performance computing. Specifically, I'm currently working with Professor Nick Higham on matrix functions.
Previously I was a Knowledge Transfer Partnership Associate working in a collaboration between the numerical linear algebra group here at the university and NAG, a not-for-profit software company specialising in numerical software libraries.
I also currently organise the Manchester Numerical Analysis and High Performance Computing seminars.
TeachingThis semester (Autmn 2014) I have been lecturing and running tutorials for the Linear Algebra part of MATH29681 for the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
Last year I did weekly tutorials for the following courses:
PublicationsA list of my MIMS Eprints is here.
Here's a list of my papers and publications:
- Estimating the condition number of f(A)b. Numerical Algorithms, Springer, 2014. DOI: 10.1007/s11075-014-9947-4. EPrint
- Testing matrix function algorithms using identities (with Nick Higham). To appear in ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software. EPrint
- Blocked Schur Algorithms for Computing the Matrix Square Root (with Nick Higham and Rui Ralha). In P. Manninen and P. Öster, eds, Applied Parallel and Scientific Computing: 11th International Conference, PARA 2012, Helsinki, Finland, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol 7782, pp, 171-182, Springer, 2013. EPrint
- Linearized Perturbations of the Kerr Spacetime and Outer Boundary Conditions in Numerical Relativity (with John Stewart). Classical and Quantum Gravity, 28, 015003, (2011).
- Outer Boundary Conditions in Numerical Relativity, PhD Thesis (2009). EPrint
- Numerical Relativity and Asymptotic Flatness (with John Stewart). Classical and Quantum Gravity, 26, (2009). EPrint
Some of these publications have associated code available online from my GitHub repository, here.
Nick Higham and I have produced a catalogue of matrix function software, which is available here. We will be updating it periodically.
I have written several blog posts for the NAG Blog, which might be of interest:
- The Matrix Square Root, Blocking and Parallelism
- Matrix Functions in Parallel
- How do I know I'm getting the right answer?
- Testing Matrix Function Algorithms Using Identities