I am a Postdoctoral Research Assistant in Applied Mathematics in the School of Mathematics at the University of Manchester. I am working with William Parnell and David Abrahams at the University of Manchester, in collaboration with Thales UK. My work focuses on wave propagation in periodic structures and the effect of nonlinear prestress on the band structure.
- Non-linear elasticity
- Wave mechanics
- Periodic structures
- Barnwell E.G., Parnell W.J., Abrahams I.D. 2015. Tuning band gaps for antiplane elastic waves in periodic materials using nonlinear pre-stress. In preparation for submission to Wave motion.
- Barnwell E.G., Abrahams I.D., Parnell W.J. 2015. The transient excitation of waves on a string carrying an infinite array of point masses. In preparation.
- Barnwell E.G, 2015. One and two-dimensional propagation of waves in periodic heterogeneous media: transient effects and band-gap tuning. PhD thesis, University of Manchester.
- GDRE conference - June 2014 - Gregynog, Wales
- Waves in acoustics, elasticity and structured media workshop - June 2014 - Imperial College London
- British applied maths colloquium - April 2014 - Cardiff University
- Waves conference - June 2013 - Hotel El Mouradi, Tunisia
- British applied maths colloquium - April 2013 - Leeds University
- GDRE conference - May 2012 - Ile d'Oleron, France
- British applied maths colloquium - March 2012 - UCL, London