Level 3 course units 2008/2009
Course units are worth 10 credits unless otherwise stated.
Third year students are reminded that many level 4 course units may be taken in the third year, subject to prerequisites. This requires the approval of the Senior Tutor.
- MATH30000 Two Semester Project (20 credits): Mr. M. Tso
- MATH30011 Project Mr. M. Tso
- *MATH31001 Linear Analysis Dr. N. Sidorov (D)
- *MATH31011 Measure Theory and Fractals Prof. R. Sharp (C)
- *MATH31051 Introduction to Topology Dr. P. Eccles (B)
- *MATH31061 Differentiable Manifolds (A)
- *MATH32001 Group Theory Prof. P. Rowley (G)
- MATH32031 Coding Theory Prof. P. Symonds (E)
- *MATH33001 Predicate Calculus Dr. M. Tressl (H)
- MATH34001 Applied Complex Analysis Dr. M. Simon (I)
- MATH34011 Asymptotic Expansions and Perturbation Methods Prof. W Lionheart (G)
- MATH35001 Viscous Fluid Flow Prof. M. Heil (B)
- MATH35021 Elasticity Dr. A. Hazel (C)
- MATH36001 Matrix Analysis Dr. F. Tisseur (F)
- MATH37001 Martingales with Applications to Finance Prof. T. Zhang (D)
- *MATH38001 Statistical Inference Dr. E. Kyprianou (I)
- MATH38011 Linear Statistical Models Dr. G. Boshnakov (E)
- MATH38021 Non-Parametric Statistics Dr. P. Foster (J)
- MATH38031 Applied Time Series Dr. G. Boshnakov (H)
- MATH39001 Combinatorics and Graph Theory Dr. G. Megyesi (F)
- MATH39011 Mathematical Programming Mr. M. Tso (A)
- MATH39991 Career Management Skills Dr. T. Shardlow and J. Whitmore
- MATH30022 Project Mr. M. Tso
- *MATH31022 Number Theory: the Riemann Zeta Function Prof. R. Plymen (C)
- MATH31072 Algebraic Topology Dr. J. Grbic (J)
- MATH32012 Commutative Algebra Prof. M. Prest (G)
- *MATH32052 Hyperbolic Geometry Dr. C. Walkden (H)
- MATH32062 Introduction to Algebraic Geometry Dr. M. Megyesi (A)
- MATH34032 Green's Functions, Integral Equations and the Calculus of Variations Dr D Harris (D)
- MATH34042 Discrete Time Dynamical Systems Prof. D. Broomhead (I)
- **MATH35012 Wave Motion Dr. R. Hewitt (H)
- MATH35032 Mathematical Biology Dr. M. Muldoon (G)
- MATH36022 Numerical Solution of Ordinary Differential Equations Dr. R. Thomas (J)
- *MATH36032 Problem Solving by Computer Dr. F. Tisseur (A)
- MATH37012 Markov Processes Dr. J. Bagley (B)
- MATH38052 Generalized Linear Models prof. J. Pan (C)
- *MATH38062 Multivariate Statistical Methods Dr. P. Foster (G)
- MATH38072 Medical Statistics Dr. C. Roberts (D)
- *MATH38082 Design and Analysis of Experiments Dr A. Donev (I)
- MATH38092 Practical Statistics 2 Dr. Y. Yuan (E)
- MATH38102 Reliability and Survival Mr. M. Tso (H)
- MATH39032 Mathematical Modelling in Finance Prof P. Duck (F)
Course units are normally available to students on all programmes (subject to any restrictions in the programme and to prerequisites). Course descriptions give details of prerequisites.
Course units in each semester will be timetabled in ten groups A to J and these are indicated on the list. Student should assume that as far as possible two course units which are shown in different groups will not clash whereas two course units in the same group will almost certainly clash. MATH39991 Career Management Skills usually takes up one afternoon.
* An enhanced version of these course units is available at level 4 and both course units may not be taken.
**MATH35012 Wave Motion may not be taken in the same semester as MATH45122 Non-Linear Waves.