All new students are expected to attend Welcome Week: Monday 19th September to Friday 23rd September
The week comprises many activities taking place in the School of Mathematics, across the campus and in University Halls of Residence to help students settle in to University life.
Brief overview of events:
- School's Welcome and Registration Fair Monday 19 September in the Alan Turing Building (campus map ref.46)
- Welcome Talk
- Diagnostic Test
- Meet your Academic Advisor
- Group Work (a chance to meet new students)
- Scavenger Hunt
- City Bus Tours
- University Start of Year Fair
This year all new students from across the University will take part in a Sustainability Challenge working in cross-discipline groups on an interactive project.
Feel free to tweet any questions or queries to the Teaching and Learning Office Twitter account: @MathematicsTLO
New students will be receiving information on Welcome Week and how to complete registration around a week after confirmation and clearing. UK students will receive this welcome pack in the post whereas International students will receive an email version. In the meantime you can access a draft copy of the Welcome Week Timetable and Crucial Guide website.
During Welcome Week you will receive information packs on your programme of study, meet your Academic Advisor and the Year Tutor. Get involved in group work activities, a scavenger hunt and inspirational talks from academics. You MUST also complete the MATHS1000 Study Module (Induction) in relation to Health and Safety and Academic Malpractice. The Health and Safety assessments should be completed by the deadline stated.
In addition to the Schools Welcome events, the University and the Students' Union have a range of events, including the societies fair, student union fair, campus tours, library tours and social activities. University Welcome information.
Students continuing into their second, third and fourth year of studies
Welcome Week: continuing students are expected to attend the Induction Talk related to their year of study:
- Year 2 Induction Talk - Wednesday 21 September 1pm, Stopford Theatre 6 - Talk by Prof. Nige Ray followed by Study Abroad
- Year 3 Induction Talk - Friday 23 September 12pm, Kilburn Theatre 1.1 - Talk by Professor Paul Glendinning
- Year 4 Induction Talk - Friday 23 September 12pm, Simon Theatre D - Talk by Dr Catherine Powell (Andrew Hazel)