12 Student Representation and Feedback

12.1 Week 3 feedback and Unit Surveys

The School values feedback from students very highly.  You will complete a short questionnaire in Week 3 of semester and another, more detailed, questionnaire in Week 11 for each course unit that you are taking.  You will be asked to evaluate the course content and the standard of teaching and your feedback will feed into the School's Teaching Committee and quality assurance processes.  It is important that you complete the questionnaires as they will help the School ensure that the courses are of high quality.


12.2 Staff-Student Liaison Committee

The main forum in the School is the School Board.  It meets four times per year. Postgraduate students have elected representatives on the Board. 


The Postgraduate Staff-Student Liaison Committee is a subcommittee of the School Board.  It deals with matters relating to both taught and research graduate students in the School, rectifying where possible any defects in organisation or other arrangements made for students; identifying problems not immediately soluble and passing these, with recommendations for action to the relevant person or committee.  Students can raise problems or grievances and ask advice or liaise with staff.


There is normally one representative from each MSc programme on the committee.  Representatives are elected early in the academic year


The opinion of postgraduate students is sought on other matters of relevance, such as computing facilities and their use.


12.3 PTES

The Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) runs every year and is a national survey of all  taught postgraduate students in the majority of UK universities.  The results of PTES are used to inform the School, Faculty and University on matters relating to PGT provision.


12.4 Advice outside the formal channels

The majority of problems that you may experience as a postgraduate research student can often be most easily and quickly resolved informally.  In the first instance, you are strongly recommended to take up all academic or personal problems with your academic advisor, your Programme Director, the Director of Postgraduate Studies, or the Teaching and Learning Office.

▲ Up to the top