International Students

On your arrival at the University, you must go the Student Services Centre with your passport and visa to allow them to take a copy of the documents as required by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

Students requiring specialist tutorial assistance and welfare arrangements should contact International Advice Team, Student Services Centre, Burlington Street (275 5000).

Tier 4 audit for international students 

The School needs to provide a report to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) on attendance and progression of students who entered the UK under Tier 4 of the points-based system.

The audit is a requirement of the Home Office and the University is obliged to hold this 4 times per year. You must attend the audit when required or the university will have no option but to inform the Home Office which could have serious implications for your visa and your ability to continue your studies with us.

Under Tier 4 you are required to maintain an up to date UK address. You must therefore ensure that you have a valid local address registered on our student system under your TERM TIME ADDRESS (UK address) at all times via MyManchester.

Under Tier 4 you are obligated to inform the School when you return to your home country or leave the UK. You must inform the School (via e-mail at when you plan to leave the UK and your return dates. We can then inform the Home Office of your authorised absence if contacted by immigration.

Your audit may take the form of a face-to-face meeting with an administrative or academic staff, or it could take another form (eg registration card collection, monitored attendance at supervisions, tutorials and support classes, attendance at examination). You will be sent an e-mail notifying you of audit points and be given documentary confirmation that you have been included in the census at each audit point.

2016-17 Census Dates:

Census Point Dates
October 26 September - 7 October 2016
January 16 - 27 January 2016
May 18 May - 7 June 2017

English Language classes for international students

The School of Mathematics runs a course of English Language courses suitable for taught students ‘English for Mathematicians’. Please ask for more information at reception if you wish to participate
For non-native English speakers, we strongly recommend attendance at the university in-sessional English language support classes

Support for international students

Students from outside the UK may wish to take part in the activities of the International Society, including their Welcome Service. Other help for International (non-EU) students is available from the University's International Advice Team.

School Budy Scheme

The School runs a "buddy scheme" for International students which is a great opportunity to meet somebody who has had a similar experience of studying and who knows about the University of Manchester and the School of Mathematics. You can sign up for the 'buddy scheme' by emailing:

▲ Up to the top