Service Teaching for Optometry
Course Units 2011/12
Dr CDC Steele, School of Mathematics: Room Turing/2.212, Ext 63632, e-mail Colin.Steele [at] manchester.ac.uk
Mathematics forms an important part of the degree courses in Optometry. First year students in the school of Optometry will be assigned to one of the mathematics courses 1Q1 or 1C1 for semester 1 of year 1. 1Q1 is aimed at students with A-level mathematics grade A,B,C. 1C1 is aimed at those without any post GCSE mathematics. Students who desire to take 1Q1 are asked to take the diagnostic test in week 0. Students taking 1C1 also take the unit 1C2 in semester 2 of year 1.
Students take the unit 2N1 in semester 1 of year 2.
Each unit consists of two lectures and a tutorial per week. For 1C1, the tutorial takes the form of a Computerised Assessment exercise. Lectures start in week 1 and tutorials start in week 2 (other than the 1C1 tutorial which starts in week 1).1Q1 (Semester 1, year 1)
The lectures for course 1Q1 (MATH19641) for 2012-13 are as follows
- Wednesday 9 am : Alan Turing G107
- Wednesday 10 am : Kilburn Theatre 1.3
- Lectures given by Dr RM Thomas
The tutorial for course 1Q1 (MATH19641), 2012-13 for optometry students is as follows
- Monday 1pm: University Place 5.211
The lectures for course 0C1/1C1 (MATH19821/MATH19541) for 2012-13 are as follows
- Monday 1pm : Sackville C14
- Wednesday 9 am : Sackville C53
- Lectures given by Prof JB Paris
The tutorial/computer Session for course 1C1 (MATH19541) for Optometry students for 2012-13 is as follows
- Wednesday 10 am : Turing computer cluster week 1/ Sackville G.11 from week 2 onwards.
The lectures for course 0C2/1C2 (MATH19832) for 2012-13 are as follows
- Tuesday 11 am : Renold/D7
- Wednesday 9 am : Sackville/C14
- Lectures given by Dr TT Voronov
The tutorial Session for course 1C2 (MATH19832) for Optometry students for 2011-12 is as follows
- Thursday 11 am : room Turing/G108
2N1 (Semester 2, year 2)
The timetable for course 2N1 (MATH29831) for 2010-11 is as follows.
- Wednesday 9 am : Class in room Schuster Moseley Theatre
- Wednesday 10 am : Class in room Schuster Moseley Theatre
- Friday 2 pm : Class in room Turing/G205
Assessment and Coursework
For each unit, there will be a two-hour exam contributing 80 percent (75 percent for 1C1) of the credit for the unit. The remaining 20 or 25 percent will come from coursework assignments. Most of this will be on the basis of assignments to be handed in but 10 percent of the credit for 1C1 will come from weekly Computerised Assessment exercises. In addition, students on the 1Q1 course will be asked to take part in a followup exercise to the diagnostic test. Students will be directed towards some resources on topics in the diagnostic test where they have under-performed and will later be asked to complete a computerised exercise on the relevant topic.
NOTE: Action will be taken against any student submitting coursework which is not totally their own work. This can include resetting a mark to zero. It is recognised that a constructive discussion between students on questions is a good thing. However, if a group of students drafts out a solution to a question, it is up to each student to show that they understand the solution by writing the solution independently.
No credit will be given for coursework handed in late unless the student's personal tutor contacts Dr Steele to request otherwise (e.g. in case of illness etc).