Service Teaching for Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering - First Year
Course Units 2011/12
Dr CDC Steele, School of Mathematics: Room Turing/2.212, Ext 63632, e-mail Colin.Steele [at] manchester.ac.uk
Mathematics forms an important part of the Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering degrees and includes first-year courses taught by the school of mathematics
1M1 (Semester 1)
- Wednesday 9 am : Renold/C16
- Friday 9 am : Renold/C16
- Lectures given by Dr W Parnell
The lectures for course 1M1 (MATH19661) for 2012-13 are as follows
The tutorials for course 1M1 (MATH19661) for Civil Engineering students (for 2012-13) are Monday 1pm, tutorials start in week 2. Students can see the location of their own group on their timetable in Campus Solutions.
The tutorials for course 1M1 (MATH19661) for Mechanical Engineering students (2012-13) are Wednesday 10am, tutorials start in week 2
The tutorials for course 1M1 (MATH19661) for Aerospace Engineering students for 2012-13 are Wednesday 10 am, tutorials start in week 2
1M2 (Semester 2)
Assessment and Coursework
There will be a two hour examination at the end of each unit i.e. in January or May/June. This will count 80 % of the assessment for the semester 1. The remaining 20% will come from coursework as follows.
The coursework for all units will be done on the basis of assignments to be handed in. In addition, many students on the 1M1 unit will be asked to take part in a followup exercise to the diagnostic test. Students will be directed towards some resources on topics in the diagnostic test where they have under-performed and will later be asked to complete a computerised exercise on the relevant topic.
NOTE: Action will be taken against any student submitting coursework which is not totally their own work. This can include resetting a mark to zero. It is recognised that a constructive discussion between students on questions is a good thing. However, if a group of students drafts out a solution to a question, it is up to each student to show that they understand the solution by writing the solution independently.
No credit will be given for coursework handed in late unless the student's personal tutor contacts Dr Steele to request otherwise (e.g. in case of illness etc).