Service Teaching for Electrical and Electronic Engineering First Year
Course Units 2012/13
Dr CDC Steele, School of Mathematics: Room Turing/2.212, Ext 63632, e-mail Colin.Steele [at] manchester.ac.uk
Mathematics forms an important part of the Electrical Engineering degree and includes first-year courses taught by the department of mathematics
Each week there are two lectures. In addition, each student will be assigned to a small group which will meet once a week for a tutorial class (starting in week 2 in each semester). Details of the allocations to tutorial groups will be displayed on the relevant course unit web-pages
Assessment and Coursework
For each course, there will be a two hour examination in January. This will count 75 % of the assessment for 1E1 and 80 % for 1E2). The remaining 20% or 25% will come from coursework taken as the semester progresses.
A further slot will be based around the coursework and will, at different times, involve getting used to the Moodle/STACK assessment system, carrying out work for assessment, receiving feedback on assessment etc. There will be four pieces of coursework in each semester ; the first assignment in semester 1 will be the followup to the diagnostic test where students will be directed towards resources on areas where they may have underachieved on the diagnostic test.
NOTE: Action will be taken against any student submitting coursework which is not totally their own work. This can include resetting a mark to zero. It is recognised that a constructive discussion between students on questions is a good thing. However, if a group of students drafts out a solution to a question, it is up to each student to show that they understand the solution by writing the solution independently.
No credit will be given for coursework submitted late unless the student's personal tutor contacts Dr Steele to request otherwise (e.g. in case of illness etc).
The times, places and lecturers for the classes are as follows
The lectures for course 1E1 (MATH19681) for 2012-13 are as follows
- Wednesday 9 am : Sackville/F47
- Friday 9 am : Sackville/F47
- Lectures given by Dr J Parkinson
On certain Wednesday mornings there will be sessions devoted to coursework in either Renold/D1 or the Joule library cluster. Students should refer to announcements in lectures and e-mail.Tutorials 1E1 :
- Friday 10 am
Examples Classes start in week 2
The lectures for 1E2 for 2012-13 are
- Wednesday 9 am in Sackville/F47
- Friday 9 am in Sackville/F47
1E2 Tutorials will be Friday 10 am (2012-13)