- Title: Mathematics 2E1
- Unit code: MATH29681
- Credit rating: 10
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite units: Mathematics 1E1 (MATH19681), Mathematics 1E2 (MATH19682).
- Co-requisite units: None
- School responsible: Mathematics
- Member of staff responsible: Dr CDC Steele, Dr J Williams, Dr A Bespalov
- The programme unit aims to provide a second year, first semester course in calculus and algebra to students in school of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
- Brief description
- 5 lectures: Laplace Transforms : Definitions : Transforms of simple functions (integration from -infinity to infinity). Inverse Transforms. Transforms of first and second derivatives. Delta and Step Functions. Shift Theorems. Solution of Ordinary Differential Equatios by Laplace Transforms. Application to LRC circuits. Transfer Functions.
- 8 lectures : Vector Calculus : Scalar and Vector fields. Gradient, divergence and curl. Laplacian. Identities. Line, surface and volume integrals Divergence Theorem. Stokes Theorem. Green's Theorem in the Plane.
- 9 lectures : Linear Algebra : Matrices, matrix algebra and inverse matrices. Soluton of Linear Equations, Gaussian Elimination. Linear Spaces, transformations and Projections. Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors. Diagonalisation of Square Matrices. Solution of sytems of linear ODEs Note :- Some terminology consistent with Matlab should be used.
- E Kreyszig, Advanced Engineering Mathematics, Wiley
- G James et. al., Advanced Modern Engineering MathematicsPearson
- Intended learning outcomes
- Knowledge and understanding: Be familiar with the topics in the syllabus.
- Intellectual skills: Be able to carry out routine operations involving the topics in the syllabus.
- Transferable skills and personal qualities: Have a set of tools and methods that can be applied in the courses given in the host department or in subsequent years.
- Learning and teaching processes
- Two lectures in weeks 1-11. One smallish-group tutorial in weeks 2-12.
- Lectures : 22
- Tutorials : 11
- Hours of private study : 67
- Week 6 policy to be determined
- Coursework 1 (week 7) Weighting within unit 10%. Written or computerised Assignment
- Coursework 2 (week 11) Weighting within unit 10%. Written or computerised Assignment
- 2 hour (semester 1) examination Weighting within unit 80%
This is a course for second year Electrical Engineers. There are two lectures and one tutorial per week. The times, rooms and weeks are as follows,
The lectures for 2E1 for 2012-13 are
- Monday 12 noon Sackville/F47
- Wednesday 12 pm Sackville/F47
- Lectures to be given by Dr A Bespalov and Dr J Williams
The examples classes for 2E1 (2012-13) are
- Wednesday 11 am : rooms to be announced