- Title: Mathematics 2M2
- Unit code: MATH29662
- Credit rating: 10
- Level: 2
- Pre-requisite units: 1M1+1M2+2M1
- Co-requisite units:
- School responsible: Mathematics
- Member of staff responsible: Dr CDC Steele, Dr RM Thomas, Dr S Cotter
- The programme unit aims to provide further mathematics for second-year civil engineering students (MACE)
- Brief description
- 6: Fourier Series: Construction of Fourier Series. Convergence. Series with Arbitrary period. Odd and evenseries.
- 6: Vector Calculus : Definitions of grad, div and curl, Identities, Examples, Vector integral calculus, Integral theorems, Applications.
- 4: Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors: Methods for finding Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors. Normalisation. Diagonalisation of Matrices. Applications to systems of ODEs.
- 6: Weighted Residual Method: Introduction. The collocation method. The method of least squares. Galerkin's Method. The sub-domain method.
- E. Kreyszig, Advanced Engineering Mathematics, Wiley
- ML Boas, Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, Wiley
- Intended learning outcomes
- Knowledge and understanding: Be familiar with Vector Calculus, Fourier series, Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors and one-dimensional Finite Element Methods
- Intellectual skills: Be able to carry out substantial calculations involving the topics in the syllabus and recognise the techniquesd necessary.
- Transferable skills and personal qualities: Have a set of tools and methods that can be applied in the courses given in the host department.
- Learning and teaching processes
- Two lectures and one tutorial per week.
- Lectures : 22
- Tutorials : 11
- Hours of private study : 67
- Coursework 1(week 7) Weighting within unit 10%
- Coursework 2 (week 11) Weighting within unit 10%
- 2 hour examination (semester 2) Weighting within unit 80%
There are three classes per week:
The Classes for 2M2 (MATH29662) for 2012-13 are as follows
- Tuesday 9 am in Renold/E7
- Tuesday 10 am in Renold/E7
- Thursday 9 am in Sackville/C53
Classes are given by Dr RM Thomas and Dr S Cotter