- Title: Mathematics 2M1
- Unit code: MATH29661
- Credit rating: 10
- Level: 2
- Pre-requisite units: 1M1 : MATH19662 ; 1M2 : MATH19662
- Co-requisite units:
- School responsible: Mathematics
- Member of staff responsible: Dr CDC Steele, Dr MK Tso
- The programme unit aims to provide a second year course in mathematics and statistics to Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Students.
- Brief description
- 3 : Statistics: Probability distributions, density function; expectation, variance, standard deviation; normal, binomial, Poisson distributions
- 5: Statistics: Sample mean, standard deviation; confidence interval; hypothesis; chi-squared goodness of fit test; simple linear regression.
- 7: Numerical Methods : Iteration and Curve Fitting : Linear and Quadratic iteration and least-squares analysis. Numerical Integration : Trapezoidal Rule, Simpson's Rule, Improper Integrals. Solution of Equations. Bisection and False position rules. Fixed-point methods and Newton-Raphson method. Applications to systems of equations.
- 5: Further Integration: Double and Triple Integrals. Construction and Evaluation, Reversal of Order, Change of Variable, Line Integration, applications.
- 4: Laplace Transforms: Definition. Transforms and Inverse Transforms of Simple Functions, convolution, application to ODEs.
- E. Kreysig, , Advanced Engineering Mathematics, John Wiley
- G James et. al., Modern Engineering MathematicsPearson
- G James et. al., Advanced Modern Engineering MathematicsPearson
- Intended learning outcomes
- Knowledge and understanding: Demonstrate knowledge of the mathematical topics in the syllabus and their relevance to Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
- Intellectual skills: Be able to carry out routine operations involving the topics in the syllabus.
- Transferable skills and personal qualities: Have a set of tools and methods that can be applied in the courses given in the host department or in subsequent years.
- Learning and teaching processes
- Two lectures and one tutorial per week.
- Lectures : 22
- Tutorials : 10
- Hours of private study : 68
- Coursework 1 : Laplace Transforms / Numerical Methods (week 7) Weighting within unit 10%
- Coursework 2 : statistics (week 11) Weighting within unit 10%
- 2 hour examination (semester 1) Weighting within unit 80%
Link-to-list from library
This is a second year, first semester module for students on the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering courses in the School of MACE. Each week, there are two lectures and one tutorial as follows.
The lectures course 2M1 for 2012-13 are
The tutorials for 2M1 for Civil Engineers 2012-13 will be Monday 12pm (weeks 2-12)
The tutorials for 2M1 for Mechanical Engineers 2012-13 will be Tuesday 1pm (weeks 2-12)
The tutorials for 2M1 for Aerospace Engineers 2012-13 will be Monday 12pm (weeks 2-12)