- Title: Mathematics 0C2/1C2
- Unit code: MATH19832
- Credit rating: 10
- Level: Zero
- Pre-requisite units: 0C1/1C1 (MATH19821)
- Co-requisite units: None
- School responsible: Mathematics
- Member of staff responsible: Dr CDC Steele, Dr TT Voronov
- To provide an elementary second-semester course in calculus and algebra to students with AS-level mathematics or equivalent in departments of Optometry, Textiles and Foundation Year.
- Brief description
- 4 lectures : Definite and indefinite integrals: area under graph, definite integral, relation with derivatives, indefinite integral, table integrals-I.
- 4 Lectures :- Polynomials and rational functions: polynomials and long division, proper and improper rational functions, partial fractions decomposition.
- 3 Lectures :- More algebra: progressions and binomial theorem.
- 3 Lectures :- Trigonometric and inverse trigonometric functions: recollection, addition formulas and further identities, inverse functions.
- 4 Lectures :- Further differential calculus: differential and derivative, main properties and examples of differentiation, Taylor formula.
- 4 Lectures :- Integration methods: integral and differential, table integrals-II, integration by parts and by substitution, integration of rational functions.
- Intended learning outcomes
- Knowledge and understanding: Be familiar with partial fractions, series and functions, differentiation and integration.
- Intellectual skills: Be able to carry out routine operations involving the topics in the syllabus.
- Transferable skills and personal qualities: Have a set of tools and methods that can be applied in the courses given in the host department or in subsequent years.
- Booth, D.J., Foundation Mathematics, Pearson
- Croft, A.C. ., Foundation Maths, Pearson
- Stroud, K.A. and Booth, D.J. , Foundation Mathematics, Palgrave
- Learning and teaching processes
- Two lectures and one tutorial per week
- Lectures : 22
- Tutorials : 10
- Hours of private study : 68
- Coursework 1 (week 4); Weighting within unit 10%
- Coursework 2 (week 10); Weighting within unit 10%
- 2 hour end of semester 2 examination; Weighting within unit 80%
Lecture times and rooms
The lectures for course 0C2/1C2 (MATH19832) for 2012-13 are as follows
- Tuesday 11 am : Renold/D7
- Wednesday 9 am : Sackville/C14
- Lectures given by Dr TT Voronov
Each student will have one tutorial per week starting in week two.
- Friday 9 am : rooms to be announced here
The tutorial Session for course 1C2 (MATH19832) for foundation students is as follows
The tutorial Session for course 1C2 (MATH19832) for Optometry students for 2011-12 is as follows
- Thursday 11 am : room Turing/G108