1C1 (MATH19821) - Course Materials
Some Course Notes and Examples Sheets by Prof Paris.
Download and print the HELM modules on topics relevant to 1C1.
- Mathematical notation and symbols (Sheet 1)
- Indices (Sheet 2)
- Simplification and Factorisation (Sheets 1,2)
- Arithmetic of Algebraic Fractions (Sheet 4)
- Formulae and Transposition (Sheet 3)
- Solving Linear Equations
- Solving Quadratic Equations (Sheet 3)
- Solving Polynomial Equations (Sheets 3,4)
- Solving Simultaneous Linear Equations (Sheet 7)
- Basic concepts of functions (sheet 4)
- Graph of a function ;
- Some common functions (includes polynomial, rational & modulus functions);
- Exponential function (includes exponential function, growth & decay);
- Logarithms (context material for sheet 2);
- Logarithmic function (sheet 2,3)
- Modelling Exercises (sheet 5)
- Trigonometric Functions (sheet 5)
- Geometry :
- The straight line (sheet 6,7)
- Conic sections (includes circle).
- Introducing differentiation (Sheet 8)
- Using a table of derivatives (Sheet 8)
- Derivatives of Products and Quotients (Sheets 8,9) ;
- The Chain Rule (Sheets 8,9) ;
- Maxima and minima (stationary points)(sheet 9)
- Tangents and Normals
- Basic concepts of integration (includes integration as reverse of differentiation - sheet 10);
- Definite integrals ;
- The area bounded by a curve a>;
Download, print and get used to looking up information in these Formula Tables. Please note, however, that formula tables will NOT be provided in the 0C1/1C1 exam.
Visibility An Optometry Application
Past exam papers
Download and print exam papers from previous years. Be aware that the syllabus may have changed, making some questions no longer relevant to the course you are taking. The number of questions may also have changed.