- Title: Mathematics 0B2
- Unit code: MATH19812
- Credit rating: 10
- Level: 0
- Pre-requisite units: 0B1 : MATH19801
- Co-requisite units:
- School responsible: Mathematics
- Member of staff responsible: Dr CDC Steele, Prof M Prest
- The programme unit aims to provide a second semester course in calculus and algebra to students with AS-level mathematics or equivalent in Foundation Studies.
- Brief description
- 4 lectures : Complex Numbers. Definition. Modules, argument and conjugate. Algebraic operations in Cartesian and polar form. Argand Diagram.
- 2 lectures: Geometry. Equations of straight lines and circles. Perpendicular and parallel lines.
- 6 lectures: Matrices. Definition. Addition, subtraction and multiplication by a scalar. Multiplication of two Matrices. Square Matrices. Inverse Matrices. Soloution of Equations. Determinants.
- 6 lectures: Further Integration/ODEs. Integration by substitution (x=g(u)). First-order ODEs. Separable Equations. Linear Equations and integrating factors.
- 4 lectures: Further/Partial Differentiation: Parametric and Implicit Differentiation. Partial Differentiation. Total Differentiation.
- Reading List
- Bostock and Chandler, Mathematics, The core course for A-level, Stanley Thornes
- Bostock and Chandler, Further Pure Mathematics, Stanley Thornes
- Croft et al., Mathematics for Engineers, Pearson
- Intended learning outcomes
- Knowledge and understanding: Be familiar with complex numbers, geometry, matrices, integration, simple ordinary differential equations and partial differentiation
- Intellectual skills: Be able to carry out routine operations involving the topics in the syllabus
- Transferable skills and personal qualities: Have a set of tools and methods that can be applied in the courses given in the host department or in subsequent years.
- Learning and teaching processes
- Two lectures per week. One tutoral (in small groups) in weeks 2-12.
- Lectures : 22
- Tutorials : 11
- Hours of private study : 67
- Coursework 1 (week 4) Weighting within unit 10%
- Coursework 2 (week 10) Weighting within unit 10%
- 2 hour examination in semester 2 Weighting within unit 80%
Link2-list for updated information.
There are two lectures per week in weeks 1-12 . There is a tutorial each week, from week 2 to week 12. Students are divided into small groups for the tutorials.
The lectures for course 0B2 (MATH19812) for 2012-13 are as follows
- Tuesday 9 am in Renold/C2
- Friday 4 pm : Renold/C9
Lectures given by Prof M Prest
The tutorials for 0B2 (MATH19812) for Foundation Year Students are Friday 9 am