MATH19730 part 1
- Title: Mathematics MATH19730 - part 1
- Unit code: MATH19730
- Credit rating: 10
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite units:
- Co-requisite units:
- School responsible: Mathematics
- Member of staff responsible: Dr C Dean (Dr CDC Steele)
- To introduce first year students in materials science and geology and planetary sciences to a number of Mathematical topics of A-level standard. Strictly speaking, this is HALF of the 20-credit unit MATH19730
- Brief description
- 1 : Algebra : Straight lines, exponentials, powers, logs, Pascal's triangle, Binomial theorem, hyperbolic functions
- 2: Trigonometric functions : Radians, trigonometry, (examples set on sine and cosine rules). Inverse functions, general angles, graphs, simple identites.
- 3 : Probability Factorials; probability, standard distributions (Normal, Binomial Poisson, c); statistics-regression, correlation, standard derivation.
- 4 : Differentiation of functions log (x), e^x and a^x, the chain and product rules for differentiation; harmonic functions.
- 5 : Integration indefinite integrals, integrals of polynomials, exponential and harmonic functions; error function; methods of integration - inspection, manipulation, partial fractions, by parts, substitution, quadratic forms.
- Calculus Workshop One hour per week for 6 weeks is used to develop elementary differentiation and integration.
- Reading List
- DW Jordan and P Smith, Mathematical Techniques, Oxford University Press
- KA Stroud, Engineering Mathematics, Palgrave
- Intended learning outcomes
- Knowledge and understanding: On completion of this unit, the student will be able to solve straightforward problems involving vectors, complex numbers, matrices, elementary differentiation, integration and partial differentiation.
- Intellectual skills:Be able to carry out routine operations involving the topics in the syllabus
- Transferable skills and personal qualities:Have a set of tools and methods that can be applied in the courses given in the host school or in subsequent years.
- Learning and teaching processes
- Three lectures in weeks 3-5 and 7-12. One tutorial (in small groups) in weeks 4-5 and 7-12
- Lectures : 27
- Tutorials : 8
- Hours of private study : 65
- Module Test and marked work. Weighting within unit 25% (40% for those doing MATH19740 - part 1)
- 2 hour examination Weighting within unit 75% (60% for those doing MATH19740 - part 1)
This is a first year, first semester course for students in the school of Earth, Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences and in the school of Materials. The majority of students take unit MATH19730. Some students, assigned by the School of Materials, take unit MATH19740 which includes an extra support class each week.
The classes for course 1G1 (MATH19730 - part 1) for 2012-13 are as follows
- Monday 12 noon (starting week 3) in Room Uni Place 1.218
- Tuesday 9 am (starting week 3) in Room Turing/G205
- Wednesday 9 am (starting week 3) in Room Turing/G207
- Wednesday 10 am (starting week 3) in Room Turing/G207
The extra classes for course 1G1 (MATH19740 - part 1, 2011-12) are as follows
- Tuesday 1 pm (starting week 3) in Room Turing/G207