- Title: Mathematics 1R2
- Unit code: MATH19652
- Credit rating: 10
- Level: 2
- Pre-requisite units: Mathematics 1R1 (MATH19651)
- Co-requisite units:
- School responsible: Mathematics
- Member of staff responsible: Dr CDC Steele, Prof T Stafford
- The programme unit aims to provide a basic second semester course in calculus and algebra to students with AS-level mathematics or equivalent in the school of Electrical Engineering.
- Brief description
- 4 lectures : Complex Numbers: Definition. Modulus, argument and conjugate. Algebraic operations in Cartesian and polar form. Argand Diagram.
- 2 lectures: Hyperbolic Functions: Definition, properties, inverse functions. Derivatives and integrals. Osborne's Rule.
- 6 lectures: Matrices: Definition. Addition, subtraction and multiplication by a scalar. Multiplication of two matrices. Square Matrices. Inverse Matrices. Solution of Equations.
- 6 lectures: Further Integration / ODEs: Integration by substitution (x=g(u)). First-order ODEs. Separable Equations. Linear Equations and integrating factors.
- 4 lectures: Further / PArtial Differentiation: Parametric and Implicit Differentiation. Partial Differentiation. Total Differentiation.
- KA Stroud, Engineering Mathematics, Palgrave
- Croft et al., Introduction to Engineering Mathematics, Pearson
- Intended learning outcomes
- Knowledge and understanding: Be familiar with complex numbers, hyperbolic functions, matrices, integration, simple ordinary differential equations and partial differentiation.
- Intellectual skills: Be able to carry out routine operations involving the topics in the syllabus.
- Transferable skills and personal qualities: Have a set of tools and methods that can be applied in the courses given in the host department or in subsequent years.
- Learning and teaching processes
- Two lectures per week. One small group tutorial in weeks 2-12.
- Lectures : 22
- Tutorials : 11
- Hours of private study : 67
- Coursework 1(week 4), 1 hour Weighting within unit 10%
- Coursework 2 (week 6), 1 hour Weighting within unit 10%
- Coursework 3 (week 8), 1 hour Weighting within unit 10%
- Coursework 4 (week 10), 1 hour Weighting within unit 10%
- Retests available 1 week later
- 2 hour examination (semester 2) Weighting within unit 60%
There are two lectures each week as follows
The lectures for 1R2 for 2009-10 are
- Wednesday 9 in in Renold/C9 (weeks 1-4, 6-12)
- Wednesday 9 am in Renold/D5 (week 5)
- Thursday 4 pm in Renold/C9 (weeks 1-4 and 6-12)
- Friday 9 am in Renold/D5 (week 5)
Lectures are given (in most weeks) by Prof T Stafford but in week 5, the lectures are given by Dr CDC Steele
1R2 Tutorials : Electrical and Electronic : Friday 12 noon (2009-10)
- Group E6 in Sackville/H10
- Group E7 in George Begg / C5
- Test time, Monday 9 am (week 4 onwards) room Sackville/G11
Tutorial groups are the same as the 1R1 groups but the rooms have changed