- Title: Mathematics 1R1
- Unit code: MATH19651
- Credit rating: 10
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite units: AS level mathematics or equivilent
- Co-requisite units:
- School responsible: Mathematics
- Member of staff responsible: Dr CDC Steele, Dr M Tressl, Prof N Ray
- The programme unit aims to provide a basic course in calculus and algebra to students with AS-level mathematics or equivalent in the school of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
- Brief description
- 7 lectures : Algebra and Functions: Functions and Inverse Functions. Polynomials, rational functions, trigonometric and inverse trigonometric functions, logarithms and exponentials. Solution of quadratic, polynomial and trigonometric equations. Partial fractions.
- 5 lectures: Differentiation: Definition. Standard Derivates. Product, quotient and 'function of a function' rules. Stationary points. [Higher derivatives?].
- 6 lectures: Integration: Definition as reverse differentiation. Definite integrals and areas under curves. Standard integrals. Integration by substitution (u=f(x)). Integration by parts. Integration by partial fractions.
- 4 lectures: Vectors: Component form. Representation of physical quantities. Addition, subtraction and multiplication by a scalar. Scalar and Vector products.
- KA Stroud, Engineering Mathematics, Palgrave
- Croft et al., Introduction to Engineering Mathematics, Pearson
- Intended learning outcomes
- Knowledge and understanding: Be familiar with simple algabra, functions, differentiation, integration and vectors
- Intellectual skills: Be able to carry out routine operations involving the topics in the syllabus.
- Transferable skills and personal qualities: Have a set of tools and methods that can be applied in the courses given in the host department or in subsequent years.
- Learning and teaching processes
- Two lectures in weeks 1-5 and 7-12. One small group tutorial in weeks 2-5 and 7-12.
- Lectures : 22
- Tutorials : 10
- Hours of private study : 68
- Coursework Test 1(week 4) Weighting within unit 10%
- Coursework Test 1 (week 7) Weighting within unit 10%
- Coursework Test 1 (week 9) Weighting within unit 10%
- Coursework Test 1 (week 11) Weighting within unit 10%
- Retests available 1 week later.
- 2 hour (semester 1) examination Weighting within unit 60%
This is a first year, first semester course for students in the school of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, who have been assigned to this course on the basis of the mathematics diagnostic test.
All students attend two lectures per week as below. These run from weeks 1 to 5 and weeks 7 to 12.
- Thursday 4 pm : room tba (weeks 1-10)
- Friday 9 am : Renold/C2 (weeks 1-10)
- Wednesday 9 am : Sackville/D39 (weeks 11-12)
- Friday 9 am : Renold/D5 (weeks 11-12)
- Lectures given by Dr M Tressl and Prof N Ray
- Tutorial Group E6 : Friday 12 noon : Sackville/H10
- Tutorial Group E7 : Friday 12 noon : Turing/G110
- The coursework tests will take place Monday 9 am in the Sackville/G11 cluster starting with a practice session in week 3.
The lectures for course 1R1 (MATH19651) for 2009-10 are as follows
Each student attends one tutorial per week. These run from week 2 to week 5 and from week 7 to week 12. These are Friday 12 noon. There is a web-page for for rooms and group lists.
In weeks 4, 7, 9 and 11, a computerised test will be held. For those scoring less than 70%, a resit will be held the following week. These tests count 40% towards assessment for 1R1.
The tutorials and test session for course 1R1 (MATH19651) for Electrical Engineering students (2009-10) are as follows
Tutorials run in weeks 2-5 and 7-12