- Title: Mathematics 3H1
- Unit code: CHEN30101
- Credit rating: 10
- Level: 2
- Pre-requisite units: Previous maths courses within CEAS
- Co-requisite units:
- School responsible: Mathematics
- Member of staff responsible: Dr CDC Steele
- The programme unit aims to provide a third year course in mathematics to students within the school of Chemical Engineering and Alalytic Science.
- Brief description
- Coupled non-linear equations: Jacobians, Newton-Rapshon numerical method with several unknowns.
- Runge-Kutta methods for Ordinary Differential Equations.
- Fourier series and transforms.
- Partial differential equations: Laplace and Diffusion equations.
- Special functions: Bessel and Legendre.
- Numerical solutions to partial differential equations.
- E. Kreysig, , Advanced Engineering Mathematics, John Wiley
- G James et. al., Modern Engineering MathematicsPearson
- G James et. al., Advanced Modern Engineering MathematicsPearson
- Intended learning outcomes
- Knowledge and understanding: Demonstrate knowledge of the mathematical topics in the syllabus and their relevance to Chemical Engineering.
- Intellectual skills: Be able to carry out routine operations involving the topics in the syllabus.
- Transferable skills and personal qualities: Have a set of tools and methods that can be applied in the courses given in the host school or in subsequent years.
- Learning and teaching processes
- Two lectures and one tutorial per week.
- Lectures : 22
- Tutorials : 10
- Hours of private study : 68
- Coursework assignments totalling 20%
- 2 hour examination (semester 1) Weighting within unit 80%
This is a third year, first semester module for students in the school of Chemical Engineering and Alalytic Science. Each week, there are two lectures and one examples class as follows.